Getting baby chicks!

The chicks are just so sweet! When I used to own quail, they would be terrified of my hand and would dart around every time I was near them, but these chickens are just curious, and unless I made a sudden movement, they would stay near me. But I do think the quail are getting a bit restless. Any good ideas on how they can run around/blow off some steam?

thanks so much for taking the time to respond! It ended up that we got 4 chicks, 2 jersey giants and 2 barred Plymouth rocks due to availability! The Plymouth rocks were a couple of days old while the jersey giants were closer to a week. They were so adorable! They have gotten a long great and the only health problem we have encountered was a minor case of pasty butt, but after dipping it's butt in water and cautiously wiping, it is solved! I love them so much! I hang out with them with a towel on my chest and let them mess around about 4 times a day for 25 or so minutes each! They are so sweet! They don't run when I put my hand in there and have had limited success in getting them to eat out of my hand. When I try to pick them up, they scream like bloody murder unless I scoop them up and let them put their feet on my hand. I love them so much! They are all around a week old now, anything I can do with them now? Would I be able to bring them outside in a little enclosure? Or is that too soon. And when do I introduce treats? Any comments or ideas would be greatly appreciated as I just want what's best for my little chicks. BTW, can chicks see electronic screens? I was studying Spanish with my chicks on my lap and they kept standing on their tippy-toes and staring at my screen.
You could take them out for very short trips outside in a playpen if the weather is nice, if they start peeping loudly because they're cold though, bring them back inside. Don't keep them outside for any longer than they want to be. I would provide them chick grit a day or 2 before you bring them outside 'cause they will inevitably eat grass or a bug or something and they'll need grit to digest it. The only treats I'd give them at this stage is chick feed mixed with water and grass from your untreated lawn (make sure that no lawn chemicals have been used on the grass, very important). Other than that you're doing great so far!

You could take them out for very short trips outside in a playpen if the weather is nice, if they start peeping loudly because they're cold though, bring them back inside. Don't keep them outside for any longer than they want to be. I would provide them chick grit a day or 2 before you bring them outside 'cause they will inevitably eat grass or a bug or something and they'll need grit to digest it. The only treats I'd give them at this stage is chick feed mixed with water and grass from your untreated lawn (make sure that no lawn chemicals have been used on the grass, very important). Other than that you're doing great so far!
Thank you for the support! I am still worried I would mess up, so the encouragement is great! I have to mix in the grit with the food right? I will start by sitting in the flower beds with them, and then letting them go around. I assume at their age I need a play pen or some form of containment so they don't run away? When does this stop and I am able to let them out without a contianment area?

The chicks are just so sweet! When I used to own quail, they would be terrified of my hand and would dart around every time I was near them, but these chickens are just curious, and unless I made a sudden movement, they would stay near me. But I do think the quail are getting a bit restless. Any good ideas on how they can run around/blow off some steam?
You've gotten a lot of great advise so far. I can add go low and slow. Chickens are a prey animal and most everything deadly comes from above. Get as low as possible and scoop them up from underneath. Grabbing them from above is scary.

Depending on your weather if it's warm enough, you could take them outside for short bursts just watching for excessive chirping and huddling together. They need it to be roughly 90 degrees F their first week and decrease by 5 degrees every week until feathered and they can regulate their body temp. So bright sunny warm days are best to get them out under super close supervision with a little shade area with chick feed and fresh water.
And enjoy your new chicks.🙂

Thank you for the support! I am still worried I would mess up, so the encouragement is great! I have to mix in the grit with the food right? I will start by sitting in the flower beds with them, and then letting them go around. I assume at their age I need a play pen or some form of containment so they don't run away? When does this stop and I am able to let them out without a contianment area?
No, feed the grit in a separate dish although at this age I just like to provide a little bit on top of a can or something rather than leave a big dish of it out. My personal preference is to wait until they're close to adult size to free range, but I do have stray cats in my area and while they won't bother an adult hen, they could view a little chick as potential prey. Regardless, before you free range you'll need to be able to reliabily be able to round them back up if needed and Idk about you, but I'd rather round up large birds that know the sound of the treat container than quick tiny chicks who are all over the place and could get somewhere difficult to get them out of. It will depend on your personal preference but I think 8-10 weeks should be a good level of maturity if you want to start early but ik some people start earlier

What if I were to just bring them out under supervision? Not free range, would that make a difference? For the quail, as soon as I put them on the ground, they would flee in different directions, but will the chickens run as soon as I stand up? Thank you! Also, if they manage to get away from me and I'm walking towards them, will they keep darting when they taste freedom? Or is that just quail? I had a traumatic experience with the quail suddenly flying over my house and across the street after we clipped his wings! We barely managed to corner and catch him.

Here are some pictures of the babies! 4 chicks one arm!
IMG_3153.jpg

Yes, a playpen is perfect! No, they won't run away if they get loose, they'll just be a bugbear to catch but they will stay in the general area. Absolutely supervise them closely. If they do happen to get loose, you can certainly catch them but the easiest way to get them is to offer them treats. With such young chicks, you'll probably have to use the feeder to lure them but since it's a fairly low value treat it could take a while so I'd just try and catch them

Back
Top Bottom