Getting baby pullets two separate dates.

If for some reason the heating cave doesn't seem like enough, I got a metal clamp light from the hardware store, and then put a 40W red incandescent bulb in it. That would be plenty of heat for them in that weather, just enough for them to go under when they feel chilled. Just make sure that it isn't LED since those guys don't give off heat.

Glad we could help. Keeping them inside for two weeks shouldn't be too bad. I just had some in my house, I just kept putting down pine shavings on the droppings. Two weeks would be fun even, if you have the space inside.

Let us know if you need help with ideas for a stronger brooder. I have made plastic totes inside work in a pinch, you just have to make a cover that allows air to pass through, drill some vent holes and make sure it is tall enough.

Louisiana.
New baby pullets from hatchery.

These are the chosen warriors:
Black Copper Maran
Welsummer
Buckeye
Spec Sussex
Blue laced Wyandotte
Golden laced Wyandotte
Silver laced Wyandotte
Starlight green Egger
Blue Andalusian
Easter Egger
Prairie blue Egger

Okay…
So I am getting 6 this Thursday and then the other 5 on Aug 2nd.

40”x30” brooder with 1/2 hardwarecloth for predator proof. Brooder will be on back porch. I am using a XL Sunbeam heating pad for heat- with the ability to turn off the 2hr auto off. Using doggie pads on the bottom.

There is a 3 week difference of time of arrival of the first batch and the second. I will have 6 already here for 3 weeks.

My question is:
So when I get the second batch of 5, do I put them in the same brooder with the 3 weekers? Will the 3 weekers already established a pecking order and bully the new 5 recruits?

View attachment 3574148

View attachment 3574147
i would not put 3 week with day olds as they will hurt the day olds. maybe not purposely

I routinely put multiple groups of chicks together, with as much as a six week spread in ages, with no issues at all. I even have an adorable photo somewhere from last year of a six week old Bielefelder pullet "brooding" her new day old friends happily.

However, my brooder is also a lot larger than yours, and more space is always better when it comes to chickens!

Back
Top Bottom