Getting Birds to sleep in Coop

CrazyCraig

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
Hello, I have recently moved my 8 week old chicks(6 if them) to their outside coop/run. It was cold the first few days and I would put them in the coop and close the door hoping they would learn that is where they sleep. I think I did that for about three days. It is now warm out and I am seeing that they are all not going in there for bed. Some of them do go in, but I don't think all of them do. I have been going out past dark and placing them in the coop, through their door. Any ideas of how to get them to learn where their bed is? I do have some treats I place in the coop for them. My coup is not the largest, it is a TSC coop/run that I know will be replaced down the road.

If this is not the right area please let me know what section I should use.

Thank you

Once the chicks have roosted in the evening, you need to move them into the coop where you want them to roost. You may have to do it several times until they learn where they are supposed to roost. I have had to do it several times in the winter months, especially. in the summer months, my flock tend to sleep on the roosts in my secure run. Good luck!

Once the chicks have roosted in the evening, you need to move them into the coop where you want them to roost. You may have to do it several times until they learn where they are supposed to roost. I have had to do it several times in the winter months, especially. in the summer months, my flock tend to sleep on the roosts in my secure run. Good luck!

Ok I thought that might be the case, I may need to go out earlier. My co-worker told me her hens went in the first day on their own.

Youngsters may neeed a night light even if there are adult chickens to show the ropes. When it starts getting dark as the sun sets the outside of the coop will be much lighter than the inside... Remember they have been under a light while brooding 24/7.... Even a dim one like a dusk to dawn photovoltaic would be enough.

deb

Youngsters may neeed a night light even if there are adult chickens to show the ropes. When it starts getting dark as the sun sets the outside of the coop will be much lighter than the inside... Remember they have been under a light while brooding 24/7.... Even a dim one like a dusk to dawn photovoltaic would be enough.

deb
I will try to find a small light to use in their coop, any links to something I should use? I used a heat plate in their brooder(didn't like the idea of a light on them all the time and the potential fire hazard), but I do understand what you are saying. I put them in last night before dark and they stayed in, they have been outside for just over a week and I think they only went in one night by themselves.

Back
Top Bottom