Getting chickens soon!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by moedenny6, Oct 4, 2015.

1. moedenny6

moedenny6 New Egg

Oct 4, 2015
    Santa Fe, Texas
    I just moved to the "country" ...as much as we could at the time [​IMG] 2 1/2 acres [​IMG]
    There is a chicken coup already on the property, it needs to be cleaned up a little. There is mainly just over grow of plants/grass. Before getting chickens I was just wanting to see if there was anything that's not common knowledge about having chickens I should know. Thanks in advance!

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congratulations on getting your chicken adventures underway :celebrate Do you have any breed/s in mind? As you are just starting out I would have a look in the learning centre, here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

There are lots of super articles on keeping your new flock happy, safe and healthy.
    Wishing you the very best of luck in the future, be sure to ask all the questions you need to. Everyone here to help and very friendly.
    Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

3. moedenny6

moedenny6 New Egg

Oct 4, 2015
    Santa Fe, Texas
    Okay thanks! I will Check out that link!
    I'm thinking about silkies, since my daughter just loves the look of them. I do prefer brown eggs to white or blue. So I'll go with a brown egg laying chicken. I'm in south east Texas-hot most of the year! So if you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them!

Would it be okay to put my compost pile near my chicken coop? And can I house more than one type of poultry together?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  4. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Be sure to visit the "Learning Center" up above for a crash course in chickens.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens. Silkies are not known as great layers but, the hens generally make good broody mothers.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

If you want to know some of the things first time owners have learned, check out this thread (it's both funny and real):
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...books-dont-tell-you-my-experience-as-a-newbie

Just a suggestion about the compost pile...I wouldn't put it too close to the coop. During the summer flies could become a real issue.

Ask question whenever you need to, everyone here is very helpful.

Nice to have you here!

8. moedenny6

moedenny6 New Egg

Oct 4, 2015
    Santa Fe, Texas
    Thanks so much for all the warm welcomes!
    Hopefully Friday I will be getting chickens!
    The coop I have right now needs to be cleaned! I did a lot yesterday, but I still need to remove the rat poop from one area. Yuck! Do I need to clean that area throughly with bleach? Of can I just sweep off the poop into a trash can? Or soap and water???

I did put my compost about 20 or so feet away from the coop [​IMG] I hope that's far enough to away.

9. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I think I'd use a bleach/water solution to clean it. Rats, ugh. Can't stand those things!

10. DestinyRosie

DestinyRosie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2015
    Birmingham, Alabama
    I love love love my silkies, they're the cutest things mine doesn't lay anymore but she'll sit on an egg for sure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by