moedenny6

Hatching
Oct 4, 2015
Santa Fe, Texas
I just moved to the "country" ...as much as we could at the time
1f60a.png
2 1/2 acres
1f60a.png

There is a chicken coup already on the property, it needs to be cleaned up a little. There is mainly just over grow of plants/grass. Before getting chickens I was just wanting to see if there was anything that's not common knowledge about having chickens I should know. Thanks in advance!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congratulations on getting your chicken adventures underway :celebrate Do you have any breed/s in mind? As you are just starting out I would have a look in the learning centre, here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

There are lots of super articles on keeping your new flock happy, safe and healthy.
Wishing you the very best of luck in the future, be sure to ask all the questions you need to. Everyone here to help and very friendly.
Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Okay thanks! I will Check out that link!
I'm thinking about silkies, since my daughter just loves the look of them. I do prefer brown eggs to white or blue. So I'll go with a brown egg laying chicken. I'm in south east Texas-hot most of the year! So if you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them!

Would it be okay to put my compost pile near my chicken coop? And can I house more than one type of poultry together?

Last edited:
Welcome to Backyard Chickens. Silkies are not known as great layers but, the hens generally make good broody mothers.

welcome-byc.gif

If you want to know some of the things first time owners have learned, check out this thread (it's both funny and real):
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...books-dont-tell-you-my-experience-as-a-newbie

Just a suggestion about the compost pile...I wouldn't put it too close to the coop. During the summer flies could become a real issue.

Ask question whenever you need to, everyone here is very helpful.

Nice to have you here!

Thanks so much for all the warm welcomes!
Hopefully Friday I will be getting chickens!
The coop I have right now needs to be cleaned! I did a lot yesterday, but I still need to remove the rat poop from one area. Yuck! Do I need to clean that area throughly with bleach? Of can I just sweep off the poop into a trash can? Or soap and water???

I did put my compost about 20 or so feet away from the coop
1f60a.png
I hope that's far enough to away.

I think I'd use a bleach/water solution to clean it. Rats, ugh. Can't stand those things!

Back
Top Bottom