Getting Chickens Soon

rjl

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2024
Hello! I am a priest's wife and mama of 2 (soon to be 3) and we live in South Carolina! My dream is to have average and build a full homestead someday but for now, I'm trying to make the most of our .75 acre lot in just outside of town. The garden project is already going, albeit not very efficiently, and my next project is chickens!
I plan to get chickens either later this spring or later this summer so I can hopefully get a handle on things before the next baby is born.
I've read that Easter Eggers are really good with kids so I'm going to start with several of those, along with some Barred Plymouth Rock and White Leghorn, plus some others mostly for looks.
I'm going to build a deep litter run around my coop to supply compost to the garden.

Outside of those things, I love to cook and bake, and I also sew when I have the energy. I have also started my own bookkeeping business to help support my homestead.
I'm so excited about getting chickens and I know I'll be learning so much from all of you!

Hello! I am a priest's wife and mama of 2 (soon to be 3) and we live in South Carolina! My dream is to have average and build a full homestead someday but for now, I'm trying to make the most of our .75 acre lot in just outside of town. The garden project is already going, albeit not very efficiently, and my next project is chickens!
I plan to get chickens either later this spring or later this summer so I can hopefully get a handle on things before the next baby is born.
I've read that Easter Eggers are really good with kids so I'm going to start with several of those, along with some Barred Plymouth Rock and White Leghorn, plus some others mostly for looks.
I'm going to build a deep litter run around my coop to supply compost to the garden.

Outside of those things, I love to cook and bake, and I also sew when I have the energy. I have also started my own bookkeeping business to help support my homestead.
I'm so excited about getting chickens and I know I'll be learning so much from all of you!
wow what a great intro! All the fabulous things you do! congrats on your new baby coming and thanks for joining us here! welcome to byc!!

Hello!! Welcome to BYC happy to have you here, I would recommend a Barred Rock Plymouth Chicken too! I have a Barred rock rooster whos very nice and friendly, He attacks strangers though but he is nice to me and my family. (Except for my uncle, he seems to dislike him greatly) Easter Eggers, Black Australorps and White leghorns are very good breeds! You should go for a silkie if you like the cute ones.

Sounds like a great plan.
Chicks will be available soon, unless you want to start off with a couple of adult birds so you don't have to wait 4 months for eggs.
Leave yourself some room in the coop to add more chickens next year so you don't have a whole flock of the same age.
My adult son strongly disliked my Rhode Island Red hen. Called her names, but she does have an attitude. 😆

Welcome to BYC!!!! :welcome Yes, I heard that Easter eggers can be good with kids as well but mine named Flo is very skittish!
20230708_161413.jpg

Barred rocks are a very good choice as well!
If you are looking for other breed suggestions maybe consider some of these;
1. white Plymouth rock (so friendly, they love waddling up to me and begging for food)
2. Sapphire gem (I love this breed. So friendly, lays huge eggs. I think they are dual purpose, too)
3. Brahmas (I have one light brahma named Dottie. So sweet!)

Back
Top Bottom