Getting Chickens Soon

I was originally going to wait to get chicks later in the summer and have a Fall flock but this baby surprised us so...not sure that's the best timing. Now I just have to figure out when because we're not ready quite yet.
you are in a hot climate, so you need far less coop than further up north, that should help you out some!

Hello! I am a priest's wife and mama of 2 (soon to be 3) and we live in South Carolina! My dream is to have average and build a full homestead someday but for now, I'm trying to make the most of our .75 acre lot in just outside of town. The garden project is already going, albeit not very efficiently, and my next project is chickens!
I plan to get chickens either later this spring or later this summer so I can hopefully get a handle on things before the next baby is born.
I've read that Easter Eggers are really good with kids so I'm going to start with several of those, along with some Barred Plymouth Rock and White Leghorn, plus some others mostly for looks.
I'm going to build a deep litter run around my coop to supply compost to the garden.

Outside of those things, I love to cook and bake, and I also sew when I have the energy. I have also started my own bookkeeping business to help support my homestead.
I'm so excited about getting chickens and I know I'll be learning so much from all of you!
Welcome. I am in Mountville SC. Chickens struggle with heat - and we have a lot of it. I would stay with large comb chickens. Some EE's have large combs and others do not. My starlight green eggers have large combs. I have two barred rocks and they do OK in the heat - they are very smart and stand in the ice I put outside. All of my chickens are good with kids - even the roosters.

Greetings from Iowa! Chickens are wonderful for children, although one of my granddaughters is scared to death of them. From what I know being a new chicken keeper, the more time you spend with them, the tamer they become. At least that is how it worked out for us. Ask questions, you will get sound advice. Once again, welcome!

I agree - just love my silkies but they are not heat tolerant.
It's a good climate for them up here. We only get about 2 weeks of that horrible 95-100F heat, but we border a forest, so they go lay in there, usually under my hostas that border it. I also keep a bucket of cold water with an ice chunk and Hydro-Hen in it up by the house so they don't have to go all the way back to the coop.

It's a good climate for them up here. We only get about 2 weeks of that horrible 95-100F heat, but we border a forest, so they go lay in there, usually under my hostas that border it. I also keep a bucket of cold water with an ice chunk and Hydro-Hen in it up by the house so they don't have to go all the way back to the coop.
Yes, you have great weather for silkies - and my SS would love it there also.

Back
Top Bottom