Getting Chickens To Go Back Into Their Coop?

Mamachic1967

Songster
8 Years
Apr 1, 2015
Now that my chickens have found the outside, they love being in their pen so much I'm having trouble getting them to go in at night. :)

Anyone have a trick that works?

I do :) It's no fun but it works. For 8 days I have to go out in the run at night and take each little chick and make it go up the ramp to the coop.

After 8 days they seem to know it. I have done it with about 3 or 4 flocks and the time frame seems to be about 8 days everytime. I watch the birds and when they start to chirp and become worried about the night falling, this is the time I go out and let them inside.

It helps to turn on the light in the coop as they will be attracted to the light and feel safer than in the dark run. Also if you feed at this time, they'll learn faster ;)

I start to let them out when they are around 2 weeks old.

Let's rule out the obvious first. Are you waiting until dark? They should go in around dusk. If you haven't, try waiting until dark one night. If they just roost down in the run then it should be easy to pick them up and place them on their roosts that night.

I am letting them stay out till dusk. I think it will be a matter of getting into the pen/runner and coaxing them in.

I left mine locked up in the coop for a couple of weeks so they were roosting and used to sleeping in there. Then, when I did let them out, they automatically went in at night. When I added another group of 6 silkies to the flock, I couldn't lock just the silkies in. So for them, I went out near dusk and waited for all my originals to go roost. I then picked all 6 silkies up and put them in the coop. On the 4th night, they followed the older chickens in all on their own. They have went in on their own ever since.

Thank you for your reply. Thy do seem to follow each other. Mine went in ok tonight but 1 stubborn one wanted to stay out. My husband was laughing trying so hard to get her to come inside. We don't have access yet to the pen, so a doorway will be added this weekend. It'll make things a lot easier, I hope!

I have a few stubborn ones as well :) I think they all have different tolerance to the darkness ;)

A few will come in later than the others, maybe 10 minutes later.

It's funny how chickens are programmed to stay out of the dark nights!

Mine were kept inside the coop for a week so they knew it was home. After that they'd go straight inside at dusk no problems.

Now that it's more humid at dusk,and they're teenage chickens, they want to stay out longer haha. I "fired" our rooster because he let the girls stay out till 9:30 the other night. (They have an enclosed run) He normally will shoo the girls in and stand guard at the run door till we close it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom