Getting chickens to go into the coop at night.

Do you have a light in the coop? Try using a timer that leaves it on for an hour or two after sunset and delay the door closing till a little later, if yours is adjustable. The light tends to draw them in. This has worked for me.

We had the very same problem we just kept at it every night. Sometimes we would shake a coffee can of scratch and give them a little treat before bed. It took awhile but slowly they got it. Our silkies were the last to figure it out. We had to put them up on the ramp and basically show them how to get in night after night. Now we have no problems.

In the coop again tonight. I wish they weren't so sleepy at dusk to actually lure them in. They are huddled together by the door to the coop in a huge chick pile. I wonder what time they actually go up to roost? It was 9:30 and about an hour after sunset when I checked on them tonight. I know they do use the roosts by the evidence left. The only difference that I can see between the past two nights and prior is that I have not been out to "visit" with them the past two days. I usually go out and sit with them in the early evening, but I've been busy the past two days. I was in the run/coop both days doing chicken chores, but not socializing with them. I will go out tomorrow and spend time with them to see if their nightly routine changes in my presence.

I would just keep at it. I have 31 cinnamon queens (21 hens and 10 roos). When I brooded them I actually did it in the coup with cardboard walls in place to keep them somewhat cornered. Even after living the first several weeks in the coup with no time in the run, they still acted like they didn't know what to do the first couple of weeks of their run freedom. It became a nightly family event to pick up chickens and put them in the coup. After a few weeks though, they started to get the hint and its very rare that I have to help one remember what the coup is for. I generally wait till about 9pm to go out to lock them up so the confused ones can get in on their own before they are herded. the sun is setting about 8:10ish this time of year in Missouri so they get enough time to figure it out. Ive had them for about 17-18 weeks now and only once did one not make it in bed on time. She was hiding under a bush in the backyard near the coup when I let the others out. Havent had any issues since then.

Chickens are social animals. They enjoy exploring anything different from their usual routine, so long as it's not threatening.
I have noticed that when mine are locked inside the run in the evening, they go in the coop right around sunset, if not sooner. When I have them in the yard (especially if I'm sitting with them), they will stay out longer, to the point where I get concerned about evening predators coming around. They're like kids who don't want to go to bed because they're having fun.

It seems to me that having the door close at 8:30 is a little early for this time of year, even for the east coast, where it's dark about 20 minutes earlier than here in northern WV. Try not visiting with them around "bedtime" and changing the timer to more like 8:45 to give them time to decide "OK, it's dark enough, let's go to bed!"

They've been out in the run for a month, and in the coop only for two weeks prior to that.
hmm.png
Maybe I need to go out before bedtime and lure them in the coop while they're still conscious. I usually visit around 5pm. I think if they see me during the day they might be waiting for "Mommy" to "tuck" them in? I have no idea. The door shuts about 30min after sunset, so they should have gone in by then.
idunno.gif

I don't know where in NJ you are, but sunset in Newark when you started this thread was 8:13 PM (anything further west would be later), so 8:30 was only 17 minutes after sunset.
When my chickens are out they sometimes don't go in until 20-30 minutes after "official" sunset time. I live on the east side of a ridge so the sun "sets" here about 10 minutes earlier than that, so they're not going in until 30-40 minutes after the sun has "set".
Really, unless you think predators will get into the run sometime between sunset and dark, try leaving the door open longer. And don't let them see you checking up on them because they'll probably stay out expecting treats or other attention.

I don't know where in NJ you are, but sunset in Newark when you started this thread was 8:13 PM (anything further west would be later), so 8:30 was only 17 minutes after sunset.
When my chickens are out they sometimes don't go in until 20-30 minutes after "official" sunset time. I live on the east side of a ridge so the sun "sets" here about 10 minutes earlier than that, so they're not going in until 30-40 minutes after the sun has "set".
Really, unless you think predators will get into the run sometime between sunset and dark, try leaving the door open longer. And don't let them see you checking up on them because they'll probably stay out expecting treats or other attention.
I checked the door yesterday and it closes about 8:50. The past two nights they were still outside. I went out at 8:45 and herded them in the pop door to show them that they are supposed to go in that way, and not be carried in through the human door. They had no visits other than food and water refills. Now they're being annoying.

Interesting.

I tried an experiment tonight. I let them out into the yard at the usual time before sunset (15 pullets and 2 roosters). When they started gathering near the open gate to the run as it was getting dark, I walked over and stood about 10' away. They would NOT go into the run, never mind the pop door into the coop. I don't know if they were waiting to be petted or get treats, or if they were waiting for "THE BIG BOSS" (me) to tell them it was time to go to bed, or what. To test it out I walked around the corner of the barn so they couldn't see me anymore, and within a minute they were all through the gate AND the pop door, making their way up to the roosts.

idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom