Getting chickens to lay eggs in nesting box

Jlgonzo

Chirping
Nov 2, 2018
North Alabama
We have 8 chickens that are 20 weeks. We had one that started laying a little over 3 weeks ago. From the beginning she has only laid in the corner of the back wall and the droppings board that is 9” below the upper roost. We were out of town for the holiday but were told we had 3 eggs a few times, which meant more were laying, but they also laid along the back wall on he dropping board. We have several nest boxes lower than the roost that are private and we put golf balls in them. How can we get them to lay in the boxes?

as you already putting golf boxes (I am putting fake plastic eggs in mine), the 3 other suggestions I know:
1) pick a chicken that is nesting in improper space and move her to the nesting box (mine will check it out and agree that is a better spot for laying). Your chicken might have not seen the box is more cozy, or that it is already have a clutch of golf balls in there
2) pick eggs more often, so you can pick them before clutch is created. When I pick mine from the coop floor, I don't mind doing it in such a way that chickens see me doing that - not sure if it helps as communicating that is not a safe spot to lay eggs.
3) make sure the nest boxes are the darkest part of the coop. I had to block the space under the feeder as they would still lay there.

Pics of your nests, and where they are laying, please.
Best bet is to block where they are laying on the floor,
using a bucket or closed box or angled piece of plywood.

EF22C098-FFB4-46E8-AFF4-8877D9E1C0C0.jpeg
22BC8315-AB18-4D3E-AFD1-30BA4272024F.jpeg
87948E7A-C13C-4E02-82A5-903A2162D234.jpeg
Pics of your nests, and where they are laying, please.
Best bet is to block where they are laying on the floor,
using a bucket or closed box or angled piece of plywood.

The first image is the corner where are first layer started in the dropping board under the roost. Another chicken laid up there today. The othe photo is an overall and the bottom one is our best box with the curtains taped up so they can see what it is. I put the two eggs we had today in there. These chickens are all just starting to lay and not all are doing it. They have had access to the nest box from the beginning.

Thanks for you interest.

You might try putting some bedding in the roll out nests, just until they get in the habit of laying there, then you can slowly remove the bedding to facilitate the roll out function.

Do you have a bedding preference or suggestion? I see all type with pros and cons.

Do you have a bedding preference or suggestion? I see all type with pros and cons.
What ever you want to use, whatever is easiest to get.
I use straw and have a good way to store a bale that last all year.

Is the area they are laying on under that roost a bare poop board?

Yes. Most of the time I get it cleaned before they lay the eggs. I took the photo just after I cleaned it first thing this morning and then went back mid morning to find two eggs. One was in the right corner and the other close to the left wall but in the middle. I know our white leghorn laid the one in the corner as she has been laying everyday since November 1st at 17 weeks. Not sure which one laid the other as I think two others started while we were away for the holiday from what our neighbor who helped said. Today was the first morning I saw a new egg from a different one.

I use fine pine shaving in my nest boxes, they don't roll out. And course shavings on the floor.
Mine seem to like scratching around in the shavings and makeing a bit of a nest.

Try letting down the two curtains on the sides to make it a little darker in there.

Back
Top Bottom