Getting Chickens to lay in the box.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by matlock, Dec 19, 2008.

1. matlock

matlock New Egg

Dec 19, 2008
    I just joined this sight and have been reading numerous posts and loving it. I used to have chicken but was not ready for them, (dumb move I know) but now I am putting the time into building a proper coop. The one thing I could never get my chickens to do was lay in their boxes. I got a two level metal set of laying boxes from an old farm and only got one or two chickens to lay in it. I was reading another post on here and they said something about golf ball in the box. Does this work? And I plan on using the thick layer method for the floor but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    [​IMG]

Golf balls and/or ping pong balls worked for my hens. Basically any object that looks like an egg will encourage them to lay in their nest boxes.

3. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a rock I picked up from the ground the perfect shape and size that I use for the young ones if they aren't in w/older ones. I only put younger ones in w/my banties who immediately kick in the "mother instinct" and adopt all chicks, no matter the age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by