Getting chickens to use nesting box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sedodge, Jul 8, 2008.

1. sedodge

sedodge Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2008
    Hi all,

I'm new to chicken-rearing and my 3 girls are 18 weeks old today (awww). In preparation for egg laying, I've put a nesting box (a plastic milk crate with a cover) in their coop. So far, no eggs, but also no signs that they have touched the nest box. Do I need to introduce it to them, or do something so they know what it's for? I let them out into the yard most mornings and they stay there all day with access to their coop for water/food/etc. Should I keep them in the coop until a certain time if I want them to lay in the nest box? Any advice, pointers, etc. greatly appreciated!

2. timco

timco Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2008
    Salt Lake City, UT
    As it was explained to me, when they are ready to lay, they will seek out the nest box. Look a few threads back to mine titled "not interested". There were several good replies. Our girls are 21 weeks and no eggs, and I built nest boxes 5 days ago. None have even been inside the boxes yet...

Tim

3. ChickyPooh

ChickyPooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    South GA
    I put golf balls on the nest box and then place the hens in there. I figure they get the idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by