Getting Chickens to use the Dust Bath

BlueJuniper

Chirping
Jul 31, 2016
Albuquerque NM
My Coop
My Coop
I recently made a beautiful dust bath for my chickens, after I realized they don't have a designated place to bathe. I made it with recycled wood, and added play sand, soil, DE, and wood ashes to the frame. But I am yet to see just one chicken in the dust bath. They are completely ignoring it, and it is honestly getting a little frustrating. :he

Are there any ideas on how to get chickens to use a dust bath?

Mine generally dust bath only once a day. Most frequently they do it when dusting location has come into direct sun although they will use it in the shade if they must. During winter I can promote use by shining a light into it although never tried such during spring months.

But the only problem is that one of them has mites. I have treated it and the coop with poultry dust, but it is really essential that they flush those feathers out with dirt to eliminate any possibility of more mites.

If they will eventually when they are ready, do you think that I still should worry even through one has mites?

I would treat the hens. I haven't looked but mites are a common problem so there should be several threads on how to treat them. I have heard a natural solution is to spray them with a mixture of water and garlic but I just go buy spray.

Just a thought but you could add a clay mixture to it then dampen it slightly and turn it so there's fresh dirt at the top. mine love to bathe in fresh dirt.

Back
Top Bottom