Getting chickens used to handling, am I doing it right?

shawmutt

Chirping
May 4, 2023
Greencastle, PA
I have Arkansas Blue chickens (finally figured out the name) So over the last week or so me and the girls have been getting to know each other. I work from home, so every couple hours I take a break and go out to give them a handful of grubs, or pick some dandelions to hang in their run/coop. When I started they were very flighty, staying as far away from me as possible. Now I have them all eating out of my hand and will reach out with a finger and try and stroke their feathers from time to time--they don't like that. Is this going to continue to get better over time or will I run into a point where that's as good as it's gonna get?

I'm not looking for them to be pets or anything, but I would like them to get used to handling for medical stuff and not have to chase them all over if they get loose. Any suggestions or improvements for how I've handled it so far?

I am correct in thinking that Arkansas Blue is the same as whiting true blue? I know a lot about WTB temperament.

It's probably going to be a hit or miss lol. We don't have any of the breed you have but we have 12 chickens mixed flock of different breeds raised from young and even then its a mix of responses. We have only 1 that solely loves being picked up and carried. 2 will allow being picked up only when they want otherwise they scream and act like the world is ending. 2 will just outright run away but if you catch them theyll submit. The others want nothing to do with us touching them. I honestly don't think breed temperament has much to do with it lol. For examples buff orpingtons are known as one of the friendliest chickens and yet while one will want to be carried the other acts like you murdering her just by trying pet her when shes in reach.

Just keep working at it, bribery goes along way lol.

I have Arkansas Blue chickens (finally figured out the name) So over the last week or so me and the girls have been getting to know each other. I work from home, so every couple hours I take a break and go out to give them a handful of grubs, or pick some dandelions to hang in their run/coop. When I started they were very flighty, staying as far away from me as possible. Now I have them all eating out of my hand and will reach out with a finger and try and stroke their feathers from time to time--they don't like that. Is this going to continue to get better over time or will I run into a point where that's as good as it's gonna get?

I'm not looking for them to be pets or anything, but I would like them to get used to handling for medical stuff and not have to chase them all over if they get loose. Any suggestions or improvements for how I've handled it so far?
How old are they and how long have you had them?
I would continue the frequent visits, but don't always bring treats/food.
Just walk thru the run, or sit quietly nearby. Use a soft voice.
This gets them used to your presence and voice.

I only examine my birds off the roost after dark wearing a dim headlight.
Start that contact by taking them off the roost with your hands around their wings and use the football hold while touching them gently with other hand, just for a short time then put them back on the roost, keeping wings contained and holding them steady until feet are stable on roost. Then a bit of a pat on the back, talking softly all the while.

Just some tips that have worked well for me. I'm kinda lucky as I have a large shed that the coop is part of with space left over for a chair if needed. Roosts are all at waist height and easy for me to walk up to and reach about any bird.

How old are they and how long have you had them?
I would continue the frequent visits, but don't always bring treats/food.
Just walk thru the run, or sit quietly nearby. Use a soft voice.
This gets them used to your presence and voice.

I only examine my birds off the roost after dark wearing a dim headlight.
Start that contact by taking them off the roost with your hands around their wings and use the football hold while touching them gently with other hand, just for a short time then put them back on the roost, keeping wings contained and holding them steady until feet are stable on roost. Then a bit of a pat on the back, talking softly all the while.

Just some tips that have worked well for me. I'm kinda lucky as I have a large shed that the coop is part of with space left over for a chair if needed. Roosts are all at waist height and easy for me to walk up to and reach about any bird.
They're pullets, got them right before egg laying age, and one just started laying eggs this week. I've had them two weeks this coming Monday.

I do sit by them from time to time, usually after a stressful day at work. For some reason listening to their quiet conversations puts my mind at ease.

That's a great idea about handling them after dark, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom