Getting Chicks in Denver in Two Weeks!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MissKelli, Feb 1, 2016.

1. MissKelli

MissKelli New Egg

Feb 1, 2016
    Hi, All,

It's cold and snowy out, so naturally it's time to reserve chicks! Ha. We have three backyard hens now (one not laying and all three inherited as adults so I have zero chick experience) and we've decided to expand the flock to 6. We've reserved three Silver Laced Cochin chicks that we'll pick up on the 19th of February. I've found a brooding kit that I think will work well. My plan is to keep them in the house (cozy basement with their corral and light and whatnot), and then move them to the garage when they get bigger with a light set up. Suggestions? It can snow here in May, so what am I looking at in terms of time inside? Also, any suggestions for introducing them to the existing flock? Thanks, all. Happy to be here!

2. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

The time inside will probably depend on your weather/temperature and when the chicks are fully feathered. As for introducing them to the existing flock, there's an excellent article about that in the Learning Center:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

You'll have fun with the new little chicks, they are really cute and entertaining!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. You may want to join your state thread and find out how other locals handle brooding chicks. I also suggest you visit the Learning Center which is a great place to start a poultry education.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you are in the right place for anything and everything chicken!

CT

5. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    I would spend the time and read the momma heating pad thread. Consider starting them in the garage. I have brooded chicks with a hen in the barn in a snow storm. They were fine and feathered out faster than house chicks.
    Come meet everyone on the CO thread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by