Getting chicks in two weeks!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by PigepenChicken, Mar 16, 2018.

1. PigepenChicken

PigepenChicken In the Brooder

Mar 15, 2018
    i am a life long city dweller. Or was until 5 years ago. I dreamed of having chickens, but until recently I was too scared to try! Now I’ve committed myself to taking two chicks in a couple of weeks. I’m going to turn an old food bin into a coop. Somehow! And find something to make nest boxes out of. And a roosting spot. Anything else I should know about? Please share your knowledge. I already love them and I haven’t even seen them. I don’t want to do or not do something that may harm them.

Teila, 007Sean, Joeschooks and 5 others like this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and good luck with your chicks. Get your permanent coop completed. They will rapidly outgrow whatever you brood them in.

3. Jay E.

Jay E. Chirping

Sep 27, 2017
    Graham
    Welcome to BYC. Enjoy them. Check out the benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar, and not a lot of scraps if you want them laying. :frow

4. PigepenChicken

Mar 15, 2018
    You’ve already lost me. Brood? After they are hatched they can’t just go into the coop?

5. Plip

Plip Free Ranging

Apr 28, 2010
    NW Washington State
    Welcome to BYC! Great to have you here!

When chicks are newly hatched, they need to be kept warm and protected (that's brooding). The first week, you keep them at 95 degrees f, and you reduce the heat by five degrees each week. They can go in the coop when they are fully feathered (maybe six weeks or so), although I'm not usually in a hurry to move them out there (and usually wait a bit longer).

6. MrsMistyReal

MrsMistyReal Enabler

Aug 6, 2014
    Mississippi
    Welcome aboard to BYC family gr8 people tons of information loads of fun enjoy shake your tail feathers 71e02a84cb59b1ed9af48d19af483235.jpg

7. PigepenChicken

Mar 15, 2018
    I just looked it up! Thanks so much. I’ll get something set up.

8. BlueHenDel

BlueHenDel Songster

Oct 12, 2017
    Good for you! :yesss: You'll find tons of info here! Welcome!

Del :frow

9. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC

Here’s a good link where you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

007Sean, Joeschooks and KikisGirls like this.
  10. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    007Sean and Joeschooks like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: