Getting chicks into the coop from the run

eschlabach15

In the Brooder
May 27, 2016
I moved my chicks into their coop about a week ago. They essentially jump from the coop, down to the run, despite the ladder. When it's time to go in, they can't figure it out. How can I help them? Can I put a trail of crumble up the ladder and get them to go up it? Could the laser possibly be too steep for them?

lol.....They are pretty stupid when Chicks...;).......You will have to catch them to get them up the ramp.....I bought one of those Prefabbed Coops for my Broody to raise Chicks...The Hen went up to bed and Left all her Chicks on the ground...;).......Would be better if the Coop was ground level also...I might rehab mine to do that....?......

Best of luck....:)

Cheers!

Last edited:
You need to teach them. A broody hen usually takes care of this matter, so without one, you have the job.

It helps, first of all, to have a small light, a small flashlight will work or a night light, to make it so the chicks can see what's ahead of them. Remember, to a chick, the coop looks much different from the run than it does when they're inside it.

If your coop is a big one where you are able to get inside, coax them in with a treat. It helps to condition them previous to this exercise to come when you call them using a treat and a verbal cue. It doesn't take long to accomplish this and it will be very useful over their lifetimes.

If your coop is one of those mini-doll house types, then the best you can do is to wait until your chicks are gathering together and making their bedtime trilling noises. This is the best time to gently, pick each one up and show them how to go through the pop hole.

The worst thing you can do, and this is personal experience talking, is to chase them down and grab them and forcibly stuff them through the door of the coop. This corrupts the learning experience which, to be effective, should be a pleasant experience.

Chicks have no problem with ramps from age one week on, by the way. The ramp is not your problem.

Back
Top Bottom