1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Getting chicks, newbie

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ncheek16, Feb 2, 2017.

1. ncheek16

ncheek16 Just Hatched

Jan 29, 2017
    Hey everybody, im currently getting my coop ready and an going to get my chicks soon . One question popped into my head, what the heck do i do if i end up with multiple roosters and fee hens!?!?!? Inknow its a risk and a chance

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Well, you can get sexed chicks to avoid roosters. Even then there is a small chance you will get a cockerel unless you get sex links.

If you view your chickens as a source of meat, then you could eat extra cockerels. You could also sell, trade for hens or give away, but it could be hard to find buyers for them.

Or you could just not get chicks and get older pullets or hens. Do you want roosters?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Some of us eat our extra roosters. I know that answer is not much help to some people.

You can give them away or maybe sell them, usually not for a lot. If you are in the USA, a lot of people use Craigslist. When you give ownership to others, you lose control over what they do with them. Usually they are eaten.

It depends on your circumstances and set-up but some people can handle multiple roosters. It’s a lot easier to do that if you are in a rural area instead of suburbia. If you have a lot of room (a LOT of room), you can sometimes let them free range with the flock and let the roosters sort out dominance issues.

Some people build bachelor pads, a separate coop for the boys with no girls allowed. As long as they don’t have any hens to fight over they are usually pretty peaceful together.

There are some options but yes, it can be a problem.

4. ncheek16

ncheek16 Just Hatched

Jan 29, 2017
    Im on 11 acres, my barn where im building my coop into has a fdw acres of grass i maintain with some shrubs , trees, and other out buildings, so im going to free range them, im not opposed to eatint them but im afraid the old lady will get attached ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by