Getting chicks ready to be in outside coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by GibsonChicks4U, Mar 12, 2014.

1. GibsonChicks4U

GibsonChicks4U Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2014
    Porter Texas
    What should I be doing to get my chicks to be happy without brooder lamp? And reading for their coops outside around 70 degrees here and there in Texas? Any thoughts

2. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    How old are your chicks? Is 70 your day time temp or night temp? You need to be most concerned about the night temp.

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    My last batch of chicks went from the incubator to a brooder in the coop. The "brooder" was a piece of 8" lawn edging fastened in an oval shape. It was late April in MN. I had 2 heatlamps at different heights and plenty of room for them to either be under the heat or get out of it if necessary. As they got older and feathered out more, I raised the lamps a little at a time. I don't really worry about the temps in the coop, I watch my chicks. If they're crowded under the heat lamps they're too cold - lower them a bit. If they're crowding away from the lamps, they're too hot - raise them. If they're happily scattered about, they're comfortable. How old are your chicks? That makes a difference, too. If they're feathered out, 70* should be plenty warm. You can always heat during the night if you have to. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My "brooder" in the coop - before chicks and with chicks. There were no adult birds housed in the coop at the time, so they did not have access to the chicks, in case anyone was wondering.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by