Getting closer

Well, I posted an add on Craigslist for started chickens and got a bunch of replies.
Looks like tomorrow I will be getting 6 or 8 ISA Browns, they are 4 weeks old and from a health certified flock and sexed. I think they are a cross of a RI Red and a Sex Link.
I picked up a feeder and waterer for chicks and well as one of each for adults.
I got a bag of starter feed and 3 bushels of pine shavings.
Last night I put in the new floor. tonight will be the Poultry netting around the chin link fencing for a little more security.

Well the feeders are full and so is the water.
I didn't realize that the pine shavings were compressed...I have at least a years worth.
I feel like an expecting father...can't wait till the coop has life in it.
I started building 4 months ago and I'm finally done!

Last edited:
If you get a small tear in one of the bails and leave it outside where the water can get to it, the shavings expand, and the bale kinda explodes outward, tearing the rest of the plastic off, and making a real mess.

Don't ask me how I know this............nosirrebob.......
roll.png

Last edited:
It's official...I'm a chicken farmer!
Picked up the girls yesterday. 7 RI Reds.
It took them most of the day to relax, but before I turned out the lights I went down to check on them and they were eating and drinking and a few had found there way to both the lower and upper roosts.
100_0374.jpg

Last edited:
The girls seem very happy. When I enter the coop they come running.
Tomorrow I will finally open the door to the run.
They are going to LOVE it outside!

well. I have had the door open for 2 days now and they are not interested in being outside.
They came out a couple of times..ate a little and went right back in.

Well the ladys are finally enjoying there outside pen. I let them out in the morn and throw a little cracked corn or bird seed. They go from the roost,,right out the door.
I have to say...I am enjoying them more than I thought I would.
I'll post some pictures of there outside run later.

Back
Top Bottom