getting day old peeps 3/23! SO young!

chooniecat

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
central ohio
picking up some day old layers monday and don't know about pine shavings in their brooder. its set up and everything seems ready but pine shavings get in their chick waterer thing. maybe put IT on paper towel? I've never had babies this young and know how important water is first few days(of course its always important but I am fussing!)
jumpy.gif

You'll do great! Put a layer of paper towels (or two) on top of the pine shavings for the first few days, then after 4-5 days take out the paper towels and leave the shavings. Then you might put the waterer up on a brick and put your feeder in a pie pan - that will keep them from scratching shavings into the waterer and billing out their feed into the shavings. I keep finding something to put under the feeder & waterer as they grow to keep it up out of their messiness. Good luck - be sure to post some photos of your peeps!

Thanks for the support-too excited-they will have a 2 hr. drive home and dearly hope they are all OK. coming from meyer hatchery and I know they are good about giving you an extra but I don't want to loose ANY. I will be quiet now before I embarras myself more. LUCK.
jumpy.gif

I had my husband cut a couple squares of plywood, one foot on a side. I put the waterers for the new babies on those. Works great!! Keeps almost all the shavings out of the water.

I have a wire brooder. I have a tray in the brooder with some pine shavings in it for the chicks to scratch and lay in. I do change the litter every day in the tray. No problem. The water stays clean and the poop drops through the wire into poop trays that have litter in it to absorb the poop. I do check their feeder and change their water every day. They are so cute to watch. There are pictures on my BYC Page.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom