Getting Ducks in a coop

SkyeT

Songster
Aug 7, 2018
San Antonio
Okay, because we are the people we are, the ducks now have a small coop. They've never had one, as they are free birds 24/7. But, the almanac and weather predictions has this winter being very wet and very cold. We wanted to give our ducks a place to go that keeps out the wind, cold and bitter rain.

They watched us put it together yesterday, which was funny. They stood in a semi-circle, off about 10 feet, and stood and watched. Periodically, one would turn ot the other and talk, then look back. It was very human...

Now, because they have never had a coop, house or enclosure that had walls, as far as we know, they only look at it. We want the to know it is for them, and hopefully start using it. They already cuddle up on the porch, so we know they love sleeping nearly on top of each other.

How do you get ducks to look at a coop and think "wow, this will be a sweet place"?

They will probably be confused and maybe even a little bit scared of the coop at first, but they will get over that when they realize that is poses no threat to them.
Get them to go inside with lots of yummy treats! Eventually they will associate the coop as a positive and safe place to sleep.
Also, herd them into the coop at night and close it for a few weeks so they get used to sleeping in the coop. Eventually, they'll figure out (hopefully) that staying in the nice warm coop is better than being out in the cold.
Also having a soft bedding will make it comfortable for them to sleep on.

You could show them you have treats and then put the treats in the coop and see if they are tempted enough to go in. Once they do they might run right back out, but then they will probably slowly check it out each day till they get comfortable enough to stay in it.

The bedding should be here soon. We got pine shavings. We put one of the solar lamps at the coop door. I may try the food trail. They love tomatoes so much we are going to go broke one day. It would be nice if I could grow them, but I have failed every summer...

The bedding should be here soon. We got pine shavings. We put one of the solar lamps at the coop door. I may try the food trail. They love tomatoes so much we are going to go broke one day. It would be nice if I could grow them, but I have failed every summer...
I grew tomatoes this year. They busted into my garden and were eating them all, even the green ones, which had me totally freaking out.
:he:barnie

Back
Top Bottom