Getting Ducks in a coop

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SkyeT, Oct 22, 2018.

1. SkyeT

SkyeT Songster

Okay, because we are the people we are, the ducks now have a small coop. They've never had one, as they are free birds 24/7. But, the almanac and weather predictions has this winter being very wet and very cold. We wanted to give our ducks a place to go that keeps out the wind, cold and bitter rain.

They watched us put it together yesterday, which was funny. They stood in a semi-circle, off about 10 feet, and stood and watched. Periodically, one would turn ot the other and talk, then look back. It was very human...

Now, because they have never had a coop, house or enclosure that had walls, as far as we know, they only look at it. We want the to know it is for them, and hopefully start using it. They already cuddle up on the porch, so we know they love sleeping nearly on top of each other.

How do you get ducks to look at a coop and think "wow, this will be a sweet place"?

Miss Lydia likes this.
  2. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    Do you have bedding in the coop? My ducks get very excited when I add fresh straw to the coop and will immediately go to investigate and dig around looking for seeds and bugs. Maybe a trail of cheerios would do the trick!

3. Brahmb

Brahmb Chirping

Oct 13, 2018
    Adirondacks, NY
    I have the same dilemma - not the ducks gossiping about how unevenly I constructed their house :p -but how to get them to go into it. I’d have to physically grab them and put them into my doghouse... they won’t be lured or coaxed any other way - yet.

WVduckchick, Callender Girl and SkyeT like this.
  4. SkyBlueEmu

SkyBlueEmu Chirping

Apr 30, 2018
    They will probably be confused and maybe even a little bit scared of the coop at first, but they will get over that when they realize that is poses no threat to them.
    Get them to go inside with lots of yummy treats! Eventually they will associate the coop as a positive and safe place to sleep.
    Also, herd them into the coop at night and close it for a few weeks so they get used to sleeping in the coop. Eventually, they'll figure out (hopefully) that staying in the nice warm coop is better than being out in the cold.
    Also having a soft bedding will make it comfortable for them to sleep on.

Miss Lydia, Callender Girl and SkyeT like this.
  5. Cayuga momma

Cayuga momma Broken crayons still color

Mar 13, 2018
    Western NY
    You could show them you have treats and then put the treats in the coop and see if they are tempted enough to go in. Once they do they might run right back out, but then they will probably slowly check it out each day till they get comfortable enough to stay in it.

Callender Girl, sourland and SkyeT like this.
  6. SkyeT

SkyeT Songster

The bedding should be here soon. We got pine shavings. We put one of the solar lamps at the coop door. I may try the food trail. They love tomatoes so much we are going to go broke one day. It would be nice if I could grow them, but I have failed every summer...

Callender Girl likes this.
  7. Cayuga momma

Cayuga momma Broken crayons still color

Mar 13, 2018
    Western NY
    I grew tomatoes this year. They busted into my garden and were eating them all, even the green ones, which had me totally freaking out.
    :he:barnie

SkyeT likes this.
  8. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Post pictures please. Herding them in and keeping them locked in is the only way the will associate that as home base...

Callender Girl and SkyeT like this.
  9. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    Honestly I just put my ducks in and locked the door every night for awhile. Now they go in and out several times a day on their own to get in/out of the shade and wind.

SkyeT likes this.
  10. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I herd mine in every night. Not a chance in hell they would go in on their own. They would stay out 24/7 if allowed.

In nice weather I let them stay out later(in the run) while up out there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: