Getting Ducks in two weeks. Some questions?

ImaChickenGirl

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 31, 2013
My brother and I are getting some ducklings in two weeks they are Khaki Campbells. I have chickens but have never owned ducks before so I am new to everything! Can ducks eat chicken food?? When do they start laying? Do Khaki Campbells swim? How many Ducks do I get for a building 4ft by 4ft?

Yes, ducks can eat chicken food. Use a grower or juvenile feed while they're small. Add crushed up niacin in their food/water until they're full-grown. They won't get that from feed.

I don't recall when they start laying. Maybe six months?

Khakis swim alright. They love it.

Is the 4x4 coop just for them? You could fit four or five in there no problem. More if they spend most of their time outside.

Congratulations on your new ducklings! You will have a great time watching Duckling TV. :)

I would recommend reading, reading, reading and would get the book Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks by Dave Holderread and the one from Hobby Farm too. Just a couple of all around good knowledge books. This website has been indespensible for me with my ducks and chickens. Lots of very helpful people and lots of information.

Because my chickens and ducks grew up together, I was able to buy just one type of feed from when they were chicks/duckling up until adulthood. Because you have ducklings, you will need specific feed for them. I presume your chickens are layers and are on layer pellets. Once your ducks are that age, they should be able to eat the same food. Eating the same treats is ok too.

Ducks like to swim but others even prefer to wade in shallow water. If you don't live near a body of water, a large plastic tub or kiddie pool will be fine.

Laying varies but between 4-6 months.

As for your building size, perhaps 3 (4 at the most). Though I like ducks, I'm glad I got only 2. They are quite messy, as everyone will attest to. You want to make sure they have room and not all squished together.

Good luck!

Congratulations on your new ducklings! You will have a great time watching Duckling TV. :)

I would recommend reading, reading, reading and would get the book Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks by Dave Holderread and the one from Hobby Farm too. Just a couple of all around good knowledge books. This website has been indespensible for me with my ducks and chickens. Lots of very helpful people and lots of information.

Because my chickens and ducks grew up together, I was able to buy just one type of feed from when they were chicks/duckling up until adulthood. Because you have ducklings, you will need specific feed for them. I presume your chickens are layers and are on layer pellets. Once your ducks are that age, they should be able to eat the same food. Eating the same treats is ok too.

Ducks like to swim but others even prefer to wade in shallow water. If you don't live near a body of water, a large plastic tub or kiddie pool will be fine.

Laying varies but between 4-6 months.

As for your building size, perhaps 3 (4 at the most). Though I like ducks, I'm glad I got only 2. They are quite messy, as everyone will attest to. You want to make sure they have room and not all squished together.

Good luck!

I have chicks right now to so I was hoping I could use chick starter for them is that ok?

For the pond I have a creek that runs all summer and I just blocked it off and made a nice looking pond with only a pipe letting water out, when they are full grown their feet should be able to touch the bottom.

I forgot about the Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks book, thanks for reminding me:)

I used unmedicated chick starter for my ducklings and chicks. I moistened the feed for the ducklings and they seemed to like it. I didn't use a lot of feed at one time because I didn't want it to spoil.

Your creek sounds like they will be happy campers!

Enjoy their tiny cuteness while you can and take lots of pictures. They grow up too fast. ;) Oh, and pat them and love on them and hold them and talk to them. They will like that too.

Back
Top Bottom