Getting first-time Sebastopols TELL ME EVERYTHING

Discussion in 'Geese' started by smcdermott, Dec 6, 2016.

1. smcdermott

smcdermott Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Central Fl
    Hi all, I am getting my first pair of Sebastopol geese this week. And I have a "few" questions. Haha
    I have had chickens for a few years but I've never had anything else, especially waterfowl.
    1. Food during off season
    2. Food during laying season
    ((Tractor Supply told me to feed them regular chicken pellets. But when I read online sounds much different))
    3. Housing? I have a big open run and huge coop, After quarantine can they stay with the chickens on the floor? Or will they need their own pen?
    4. Water and food. Do they need a bigger larger feeders and waters? Their beaks look much bigger than chickens do. Obviously
    5. Pool? Obviously they need a little pool but how big/deep?
    WHAT ELSE AM I missing??

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sorry double post .

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hopefully this will answer most of your questions
    @smcdermott I don't house my geese with my ducks or chickens because they are temperamental and can injure a chicken pretty easily. During breeding season they def need their own space. They need buckets deep enough to dip their heads in to wash out their eyes and bills too. Not chicken waterers. Mine have the largest kiddy pool and they breed and spend alot of time in it bathing and preening too. Feeders need to be larger too they'd have a hard time eating out of a chicken feeder My flock all mingles together on half acre fenced in property during daylight. But have their own houses come night time. For food Mine eat chicken feed because that is all I can get layer during laying season and All flock at other times. Please be sure to post pics when you bring home your Sebbies love to see them.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by