Getting free produce - is more protein necessary?

Hi... I just have layers... should they have more than 16 percent?
It sounds like most people give more? If so, what kind/brand would be best?
I feed 16 percent crumbles and 16 percent organic pellets.
My gals are laying tons right now.. even with shorter days...

Hi... I just have layers... should they have more than 16 percent?
It sounds like most people give more? If so, what kind/brand would be best?
I feed 16 percent crumbles and 16 percent organic pellets.
My gals are laying tons right now.. even with shorter days...
If you don't give many low Protein treats like Scratch Grains or veggies daily, and you're not seeing Feather picking, you're good.
I give my girls a Scratch Grains treat once daily and let the adults Free Range an hour before sunset daily, weather permitting.
My Golden Comets feather picked when I switched to a 16% Layers feed.
I like Purina Premium and Nutrina Naturewise feed. I buy a 18% Start & Grow/Starter-Grower or a All-Flock/Flock Raiser feed, with Oyster Shells separately. Whichever is fresher when I'm at TSC. I've also fed Feather Fixer and Healthy Hen feed with good results.
Your girls are laying tons and not feather picking. Don't change a thing. GC

These feeds are designed for actively laying hens who get nothing else to eat, and it's fine for that.
When your birds go into molt, at different times, and you have males, and youngsters not yet producing eggs, and older birds no longer laying, a different feed makes more sense. I use Purina Flock Raiser, 20% protein, with separate oyster shell, so every bird gets a good diet regardless of what they are doing. It's fresh at my local feed stores, also very important.
Mary

If you don't give many low Protein treats like Scratch Grains or veggies daily, and you're not seeing Feather picking, you're good.
I give my girls a Scratch Grains treat once daily and let the adults Free Range an hour before sunset daily, weather permitting.
My Golden Comets feather picked when I switched to a 16% Layers feed.
I like Purina Premium and Nutrina Naturewise feed. I buy a 18% Start & Grow/Starter-Grower or a All-Flock/Flock Raiser feed, with Oyster Shells separately. Whichever is fresher when I'm at TSC. I've also fed Feather Fixer and Healthy Hen feed with good results.
Your girls are laying tons and not feather picking. Don't change a thing. GC
Okay, thank you... they do not get to free range and I do try to give them treats (wild bird seed/bunny feed/scratch/things from the kitchen.. one or a mix of these) daily/every other day or so... and now that yall have mentioned it I do notice that they eat a lot less of their feed if I give too much.. but I guess I wasn’t sure how much was too much.... until now.. so, should I give less treats?
I guess I feel that since they are cooped up I want them to be able to scratch around with fun stuff:hmm

Okay, thank you... they do not get to free range and I do try to give them treats (wild bird seed/bunny feed/scratch/things from the kitchen.. one or a mix of these) daily/every other day or so... and now that yall have mentioned it I do notice that they eat a lot less of their feed if I give too much.. but I guess I wasn’t sure how much was too much.... until now.. so, should I give less treats?
I guess I feel that since they are cooped up I want them to be able to scratch around with fun stuff:hmm
I only treat my girls once daily. I clean their coop weekly and put it in their large pen. I scatter the Scratch over the Straw mid morning and they spend hours scratching with breaks in between.
If you notice Soft Shells or Thin Shelled eggs, cut back on treats. GC

I only treat my girls once daily. I clean their coop weekly and put it in their large pen. I scatter the Scratch over the Straw mid morning and they spend hours scratching with breaks in between.
If you notice Soft Shells or Thin Shelled eggs, cut back on treats. GC
Okay, thanks! Their eggs are beautiful... so I guess all is well!
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom