Getting free range pullets back in the coop

I have had my girls both free range and in a run. My husband took to calling me a "chicken wrangler" on those rare occasions when I needed to corral them into the coop before dark.
Last summer we had a very unfortunate accident though. My property does not have a perimiter fence. Something I am still saving for. While free ranging my hens went off our property into a neighbors adjacent orchard. Little did I know he had just spread granular weed killer. I lost 10 out of 15 hens in a matter of hours. A very valuable lesson learned there. Be carefull.
All good now though. I keep the new girls contained.

Last edited:
Actually it can be done. I used to leave for work at 1pm every day. I used one of those clickers that are used to work with horses and dogs. (.99 at PetCo) Click the clicker, toss scratch in coop. Took about three days for them to figure it out. About once a month they ignore me, but most days they come running for the coop when they see me come out of the house around noon time.

Quote:
Right
wee.gif
he.gif
th.gif
thats my visual of trying to herd chickens in before they want to

All of mine head in on their own if I dont get out at dusk for a head count, it's the only light on after 8pm and since it's on a timer it's lights out after 9pm.
I have a variety of predators, skunk, coyote, fox, a few feral cats, hawks and a family of nesting eagles on the lake nearby and one chicken killin dawg down the road. All land predators are subject to the complimetary shot in the butt with my pellet gun, return visits will recieve an upgraded to the .22 rifle. I even ran off a small bear last year, he returned to the neighborhood this spring but avoided my place. I guess he didnt like dealing with the crazy Yankee
big_smile.png
lol.png
. The pellet gun warning has worked well so far. No free meals for the uninvited on my farm
cool.png
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom