Getting Goat kids

Understandable, but it might be handy to have a way to produce milk, too. In case grocery stores shut down. With Spring coming and an area you can range them, you could definitely maintain them until mid-Fall, if you stock up on minerals/baking soda now. I guess you'd have to breed the does soon, though.

My goats barely use the area we have. They are free range...well yesterday they were bad so they got locked up..they are eating our 20+ year old pine trees that are supposed to block wind. Ugh. Chris was very mad. It’s been an ongoing issue. But he refuses to put any fencing around trees...anyways...we have 35 acres..they are allowed to range at least three..it’s enclosed by trees...they stay within a smallish area...I suppose so they can see the house. When I’m with them they will walk the back. So, @chickens really ..I’m guessing you’ll take Fancy to get her bred? Just to warn you...fainting goats are not the best type of dairy...so don’t expect to get a ton of milk from her. Plus, it takes awhile to get the hang well, my goat is very dairy. I get a gallon a day. She had HUGE teats. Went through 3milk machines...one was $599..didn’t do the job the way I wanted. Better to by hand...for me. Takes a lot of strength to milk a goat with teats that size ...in the morning I can barely get my hand around! But, you won’t have tha5 issue. But, the milk is awesome! We make cheese, ice cream..I sell it all too. That’s why I’m looking for another dairy goat. You gat $12 a gallon, $14 a lb for cheese. I haven’t priced out the fudge yet...Because it was a pain to make. Kidding is the best!! You will be so stressed before it happens...but, the experience is amazing!! And then having tiny kids...wooo hoo!! Sooo much fun! I had 6...had to sell one, just to realize I can’t keep them all.

My goats barely use the area we have. They are free range...well yesterday they were bad so they got locked up..they are eating our 20+ year old pine trees that are supposed to block wind. Ugh. Chris was very mad. It’s been an ongoing issue. But he refuses to put any fencing around trees...anyways...we have 35 acres..they are allowed to range at least three..it’s enclosed by trees...they stay within a smallish area...I suppose so they can see the house. When I’m with them they will walk the back. So, @chickens really ..I’m guessing you’ll take Fancy to get her bred? Just to warn you...fainting goats are not the best type of dairy...so don’t expect to get a ton of milk from her. Plus, it takes awhile to get the hang well, my goat is very dairy. I get a gallon a day. She had HUGE teats. Went through 3milk machines...one was $599..didn’t do the job the way I wanted. Better to by hand...for me. Takes a lot of strength to milk a goat with teats that size ...in the morning I can barely get my hand around! But, you won’t have tha5 issue. But, the milk is awesome! We make cheese, ice cream..I sell it all too. That’s why I’m looking for another dairy goat. You gat $12 a gallon, $14 a lb for cheese. I haven’t priced out the fudge yet...Because it was a pain to make. Kidding is the best!! You will be so stressed before it happens...but, the experience is amazing!! And then having tiny kids...wooo hoo!! Sooo much fun! I had 6...had to sell one, just to realize I can’t keep them all.
My goat pen is behind my house. I can see part of it out my kitchen window.👍
I don't know if I will breed Fancy and I won't be milking her though. I took my ad off on Ozzy. He will stay. 😀😂

Goats are browsers. They will eat trees, rambles, shrubs, and strip bark off of trees before choosing to eat grass. Grass has to be the only option. They also don't graze down short. They leave about 6-8 inches of grass unless they have no choice. So if you don't confine your goats they will slowly destroy all your plants, shrubs, and trees.

Goats are browsers. They will eat trees, rambles, shrubs, and strip bark off of trees before choosing to eat grass. Grass has to be the only option. They also don't graze down short. They leave about 6-8 inches of grass unless they have no choice. So if you don't confine your goats they will slowly destroy all your plants, shrubs, and trees.
Yes...My goat yard is pine trees and a spruce with a few caragana. I don't care if they eat that though.
The goat guy told me in summer I can put soft nylon muzzles on my goats if I let them run around my yard to play to keep them from eating my plants. I might try that..❤️👍

@chickens really why is the hay always greener on the shelf? Especially when it’s the same that is in the FULL feeder. Stinking goats! :rant 0C319DFF-2AE0-4F20-AA4D-98D8BF32A080.jpeg F161FD24-1E0B-46FE-BFF4-48175C44E77F.jpeg C81609C4-9431-4CCA-B80A-3E81A65AE39B.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom