Getting Guineas to Return to the Coop

mEGGieS

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2017
Good morning,
To start, here is the story behind the question "How in the World do You Get Your Guinea Fowl to Return Home on Their Own?!"
Yesterday was a hard day to have guineas... I left one guinea in the barn to entice the girls to return, the second of my hens got chewed on by one of my dogs (she was just trying to take her home), the third hen I let out came back in by herself, and the blessed fourth, well, she didn't want to return. My fourth guinea stayed up on the roof until late in the evening, then flew on top of the run in for the cows. Luckily, my husband is the chicken whisperer and this seems to cross over to guinea fowl as well! The DH climbed onto the roof of the run in with a minnow net and actually managed to catch my hen without hurting her!
My question is, is there not an easier way to get them to come home?!
I welcome all thoughts and ideas!

Two things that help, 1) Keep the guineas feed (and water if possible) in their coop so they go in & out throughout the day, 2) Keep a light on after dark. They are far more likely to go inside if it is lit and they can see where they are going

Back
Top Bottom