Indigenous Guinea Fowl rescued keet

A slightly funny incident, one day Mama saw her reflection in the hubcap of the wheel on my atv - she was trying to fight it, so I had to cover it up!
At the beginning of each breeding season, when the Guinea Fowl move into the residential areas to nest, the males cause havoc wherever they can see their own reflection.

They attack sliding doors, constantly knocking loudly on them. They attack cars too, jumping and clawing at them; and especially if they are blue in colour. We use to own a blue coloured car and of all the cars that were parked on our street, ours was attacked the most, leaving scratches on the paint work. We have since sold that car and now our neighbour's black coloured car is the chosen target.

These attacks last for about a month until things settle down among the males; and it is then when tiny keets appear and we can expect piece until the next breeding season.

I must add that the male Guinea Fowl are not interested in attacking us during this time, only fighting with other Guinea Fowl, including their reflection. So when we go out to ward off the car attackers, we land up chasing them in circles, with their wings puffed out, around and around the car. To the outside observer it must look like a clownish circus act!
🤣

Last edited:
I did use a mirror, but I only thought of it when the keet was nearly a month old already; and the mirror I employed, which was the only one I could use to reach the keets level, is a small one. So the keet didn't really take to it and was more interested in been as close to me as possible and following me wherever I went (because it is only one keet, and therefore easier to monitor than if there were more, it has always, since day one, had free range during the day - we spent a lot of time outside in the garden).

Now that the keet is sleeping on its own in a bird loft outside, I have been meaning to install a mirror there. The mirror I have in mind is on an old disused bathroom wall cabinet which is being stored in a box high up in the garage and is a two man job to get down. I will arrange to get it down this coming weekend and I will let you know how it is received by the keet.

Thank you so very much for thinking of us and for sharing your thoughts! It is truly appreciated.

Sometimes even a simply suggestion can make a huge difference - so please keep on sharing.
No problem at all. These keets are a bit of a handful compared to chickens. I am on my fifth lot over 4 years and I learn something new each time! I love hearing about your little one. Such a treasure to have the 'one on one' with what is really a wild bird. I am sure it will grow into a lovely bird with character. I know that mine appear to enjoy me talking to them and they like me whistling! Not that I am that good...

The Guinlet died Saturday night between the hours of 11pm and midnight, at three months and twelve days old, of complications of the respiratory system. It fought bravely to the end and died in my arms.
The wee little beastie beat the odds of survival so many times that it is a real tragedy that its luck had to run out so soon, ...but it lived well and was very much loved.
Thank you to everyone for the support you gave me during its short life; even if it was just sharing a laugh with me over some of its antics.

Last edited:
The Guinlet died Saturday night between the hours of 11pm and midnight, at three months and twelve days old, of complications of the respiratory system. It fought bravely to the end and died in my arms.
The wee little beastie beat the odds of survival so many times that it is a real tragedy that its luck had to run out so soon, ...but it lived well and was very much loved.
Thank you to everyone for the support you gave me during its short life; even if it was just to share a laugh with me over some of its antics.
So very sorry to hear this. :hit
Thank you for everything you did (and discovered!) during the process. :hugs

Thank you to everyone for the support you gave me during its short life; even if it was just sharing a laugh with me over some of its antics.

Sending Light, Loving and gratitude for all you did for the little tyke ~ it was so very lucky to have you <3

Back
Top Bottom