Indigenous Guinea Fowl rescued keet

The keet is now four weeks and two days old (30 total days), and yesterday evening I finally realised a valuable lesson which I would like to impart to any other inexperienced person who finds themselves with a single rescued Guinea Fowl chick (keet) - especially a non-birding South African, living in a residential area, with a wild, undomesticated keet that was found in your garden or neighbourhood.

I have rescued, hand reared and successfully rehabilitated a variety of wild 'garden' bird species, including Fiscal Shrike (aka Butcher bird) [*], woodpecker, Wagtail, Egyptian goose, as well as numerous doves and pigeons, so I thought that I would be quite capable to rear and rewild a seemingly easy, since it feeds itself, bird to care for. I was wrong.

Unfortunately I made some regrettable decisions due to my lack of knowledge and understanding of the Guinea Fowl; and my advice is: do not take on a keet yourself unless you are fully aware of what you will be dealing with.

[*as I type this there is a Fiscal Shrike taking a dip in the birdbath I have outside the window by my desk. The keet is next to me on the windowsill enjoying the sunlight …and I just spotted three mousebirds sitting on my garden wall.]

My first mistake was in not trying to return the keet to its bird family as soon as it had the ability to walk. I made this decision with my heart, fearing that my rescue efforts would have been for nothing if, as with many of its siblings, it fell victim to prey after I returned it.
My second mistake was not finding a home for it on a farm, with a foster mother in the form of a farm hen.
Both these first two mistakes led to the keet completing its total imprinting on me (and on the other humans around me) in the days that followed the first time it was able to walk.

My third mistake was in thinking that, like with all my other rescued chicks, the imprinting would not be an issue, as once it matures it will find its way back into its natural way of life when it goes off looking for a mate. What I failed to consider was the effect the imprinting could possibly have on the people in my neighbourhood.

Owing to some quality advise given to me on this website (thank you, R2elk), I am now fully conscious that Guinea Fowl which have NOT imprinted on humans are likely only to attack that which they perceive to be a threat to their nest and/or brood. This is evident here, where people can do gardening, walk their dogs, do activities in public spaces, enjoy playgrounds and generally go about their business alongside wild Guinea Fowl families without the threat of being attacked by one of them, unless the fowls are provoked. However, Guinea Fowls that HAVE imprinted on humans are unable to understand that people are not of their kind and therefore may treat humans the same way (territorially and in pecking order) as they would any other Guinea Fowl.

This is probably true of most, if not all, bird species, but due to a Guinea Fowl's size, temperament and total lack of fear for anything, this can cause problems …perhaps even very serious ones.

I read a disturbing report on this website of a hand reared Guinea Fowl attacking people, including the person that reared it, and also that person's children, over a period of time. The attacks were ferocious enough to cause injury that required skilled medical attention. And I am sure this is not an isolated story.

Which brings me to the episode that occurred yesterday evening prompting me to write this post. My just 29 days old keet chased and attacked my Turtle dove (which I rescued two years ago when I found it with a severe abscess and a broken wing). The Turtle dove is more than twice the keet's size and I had to virtually forcefully grab the keet away to stop the attack. If this is what this keet is like at this size and age, what is going to happen when its adult hormones kick in? Will it also attack humans that it thinks are 'Guinea Fowls' intruding on its territory?

[The Turtle dove is okay - just a little feather-ruffled which a good preening fixed right up. I shall not be putting the keet in the bird loft again.]

Now I am sitting here with this keet on my shoulder, all adorable and chirping sweetly to me, but it is a potential harmful attack waiting to happen. I am going to follow what I think is wise advice that was given to me, which is to try releasing it into a flock that is far away from any residential area and hope that the flock accepts it. It is not an ideal situation, but it is the best option I have so far that is moving towards a positive outcome.

In closing, to those who are thinking of taking on a Guinea Fowl keet for the first time, I underestimated how busy a keet is, how stubborn it can be, how painful a peck is when it is determined to remove a freckle from my skin, and how committed it is to running around with bits of toilet paper no matter how much I chase after it to get the paper out of its beak before it has a chance to swallow it.

Last edited:
The keet is now five weeks and 6 days old (41 days total) and is doing very well on the starter feed.

At what age do I start weaning it off the starter feed onto wild bird seed (made up with seeds for the indigenous birds here) in preparation for its release?

In the meantime I have been making enquiries into finding a flock for it, in hopes of finding one on a farm where there is no hunting of Guinea Fowls - this proving to be a difficult task.

Also... the keet has taken to eating ants in a big way. Is this normal? Should I be worried that the keet is eating so much "acid" from the ants?

The keet is now five weeks and 6 days old (41 days total) and is doing very well on the starter feed.

At what age do I start weaning it off the starter feed onto wild bird seed (made up with seeds for the indigenous birds here) in preparation for its release?

In the meantime I have been making enquiries into finding a flock for it, in hopes of finding one on a farm where there is no hunting of Guinea Fowls - this proving to be a difficult task.

Also... the keet has taken to eating ants in a big way. Is this normal? Should I be worried that the keet is eating so much "acid" from the ants?
The recommendation is 6 to 8 weeks for the game bird starter feed

Ants are fine for it to eat.

A few weeks ago I saw a family of Guinea Fowl early one morning, just before sunrise, while I was out walking my dog.

What was noticeable about this particular family was that it was very small. Just one male (at least I think it was a male), one female and one keet, (which is roughly a week older than the keet I have with me). The Guinea Fowl family units that we usually see in the area are much bigger, with at least three females.

My guess is (and I could be very wrong) that it is a very young family in perhaps their first year of breeding?

DSCN1810.jpg

The one I think is a male, coming over to see what my dog and I were about.

DSCN1811.jpg

The female with the single keet, staying on the other side of the road.

DSCN1812.jpg

The whole family together, with the "male" standing to the right of the power box. (Notice the ginger cat on the wall.)

How this relates to my keet is that two days ago an alone female Guinea Fowl came briskly walking along our street, calling out as if trying to find her keet. I am almost positive that it is the same female as the one in the photos. (I felt very sorry for her).

The keet and I were outside in our driveway and we both watched her through the gate as she went by. The gate has gaps that are wide enough for an adult Guinea Fowl to fit through. The keet stood up straight and was curious but showed no indication that it wanted to join the adult Guinea Fowl.

Last edited:
A few weeks ago I saw a family of Guinea Fowl early one morning, just before sunrise, while I was out walking my dog.

What was noticeable about this particular family was that it was very small. Just one male (at least I think it was a male), one female and one keet, (which is roughly a week older than the keet I have with me). The Guinea Fowl family units that we usually see in the area are much bigger, with at least three females.

My guess is (and I could be very wrong) that it is a very young family in perhaps their first year of breeding?

View attachment 3753676
The one I think is a male, coming over to see what my dog and I were about.

View attachment 3753681
The female with the single keet, staying on the other side of the road.

View attachment 3753682
The whole family together, with the "male" standing to the right of the power box. (Notice the ginger cat on the wall.)

How this relates to my keet is that two days ago an alone female Guinea Fowl came briskly walking along our street, calling out as if trying to find her keet. I am almost positive that it is the same female as the one in the photos. (I felt very sorry for her).

The keet and I were outside in our driveway and we both watched her through the gate as she went by. The gate has gaps that are wide enough for an adult Guinea Fowl to fit through. The keet stood up straight and was curious but showed no indication that it wanted to join the adult Guinea Fowl.
🩷🩷🩷 Too adorable!! Thank you for sharing.

The keet is now 9 weeks and 3 days old.

This morning was exciting for both of us, when a large Guinea Fowl family showed up. There were six adults and many almost-adult-size keets which were too busy running around to count properly.

At first "my" keet sat in my arms looking at the others in wonder, but slowly it build up some courage and went over to interact.

2024-03-14 interacting 1.jpg

The arrow is pointing at "my" keet.

2024-03-14 interacting 2.jpg

"My" keet standing closest to the camera.

2024-03-14 interacting 3.jpg

(I apologise for the poor quality of the next three images - I blame it on poor early morning lighting.) My keet took a liking to this one adult who showed concern for when it was at my side.

2024-03-14 interacting 4.jpg

Watching very closely.

2024-03-14 interacting 5.jpg

Very interested in "conversing".

The family unit left as quickly as they arrived and the keet followed me inside for breakfast.

This interaction with other Guinea Fowl feels very positive, especially when they accepted without hesitation.

What are your thoughts on it?

2024-03-14 interacting 5.jpg

Very interested in "conversing"

Since I have not much experience with fowls of any kind, as all my past rescued birds have been nest bound chicks, is the interaction seen in this above pic between "my" keet and the adult Guinea Fowl significant in any way? In other words what is the keet's body language saying by trying to get as close to the adult's face as possible? If I have to take a guess I would say that the keet is begging for food, to be fed directly into its beak from the adult?

Since I have not much experience with fowls of any kind, as all my past rescued birds have been nest bound chicks, is the interaction seen in this above pic between "my" keet and the adult Guinea Fowl significant in any way? In other words what is the keet's body language saying by trying to get as close to the adult's face as possible? If I have to take a guess I would say that the keet is begging for food, to be fed directly into its beak from the adult?
No, guineas do not feed keets. They may show them food but will not feed them.

This is a common habit among turkey poults where they will clean food off of each other's beaks. It is more of a grooming/submission thing than anything else.

Song birds and pigeons do feed their young. Guineas don't.

Back
Top Bottom