1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Getting hard to continue.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by 7263255, Nov 5, 2014.

1. 7263255

7263255 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2014
    South West Missouri
    [​IMG]

We lost our little hen . Some animal took her right through the chain link fence. She was our first to start laying and was a sweet little girl.
    Shure makes it hard to keep going knowing we may lose more.

2. MohicanHase

MohicanHase Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2014
    Ohio
    So sorry!! :( But keep your head up. :) do you know what got her? once you do you can take preventive measures against it taking another.

3. 7263255

Oct 12, 2014
    South West Missouri
    really don't know what it was. My wife had just checked on them and we left them out in the pen while we went to vote. Only gone 20 min or so .
    When we returned I went to put them to bed. We have a small coop inside a chain link dog pen. We lock them in at dusk after our first great loss of five. It was just after sunset when we returned and I found the evidence of the event . Not pretty!
    Not giving up but really hard to see my wife in tears. They are her babies.

4. MohicanHase

MohicanHase Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2014
    Ohio
    do you have trail cams? or live traps? I would want to catch whatever did that befor it strikes again.

1 person likes this.
  5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    You need to run hardware cloth a couple feet up the side of the fence at the bottom. This prevents animals from reaching in and grabbing them. You also have to make sure they can't get in through and gaps. So sorry you are dealing with this. It is hard.

1 person likes this.
  6. JensChickies

JensChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    Maybe you can try an electric fence. I have heard those work well.

7. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Beware, whatever found your birds will likely be back now.

Do everything to protect them.

8. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I am so sorry for your loss. I know how horrible it feels to find the remains of a chicken who was attacked by a predator. It was probably a raccoon. I have tried to make my chicken run a fortress after my losses. We put metal siding 3 feet high and dug it into the ground to help prevent digging and climbing. The upper part of the fencing is welded wire, and we even decided to cover the top with welded wire,just in case a raccoon does find a way to climb up the side and to keep out raptors.

9. 7263255

Oct 12, 2014
    South West Missouri
    Thanks everyone for the advise and ideas. It is hard to deal with and especially after we raised em up and saw the first eggs. But we go on , learn from these mistakes, and try to improve the way we are doing things. This has been a great tool so far (BYC) and I am glad to have such experience available to draw from.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by