Getting Hens to Set question

Makayla200

Hatching
May 31, 2017
My hens are not sitting on the eggs at night and I don't know why. It is their first time so I don't know if they think im going to take the eggs or something. Do you have any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
They may have the urge to set but not enough of a strong urge to do the job right. I would take the eggs away if they are not staying on them after a week.

And don't forget to float any egg that's been out there a week, or the easter egg that may be a day or a month.

My hens are not sitting on the eggs at night and I don't know why. It is their first time so I don't know if they think im going to take the eggs or something. Do you have any ideas?
hens dont set on eggs unless they are broody
i would take the eggs away and if one does go broody you will know, it will be GLUED to the nest and probably make pterodactyl noises at you if you get too close
when that happens and you are ready to give them eggs select a few eggs and draw a circle with a sharpie all around the egg (this is so that if any others get added to the nest it is easy to tell) and also makes sure that they are all due on the same day

if you have any other questions let us know! Good Luck and WELCOME TO BYC!!!!

Back
Top Bottom