Getting hens to sit

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bugdoodle06, Oct 24, 2008.

1. bugdoodle06

bugdoodle06 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    How do you get hens to sit? I have 14 RIR hens and I am getting 12 to 14 eggs a day but I would like to get some hens to start sitting....
    Is it an age thing? Or with Winter coming on will I have to wait for spring?
    4 Hens are 9 months old and 9 are 6 months old...
    Thanks in advance![​IMG]

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    There are many posts on this topic. Some will say you can make a hen go broody BUT it's all a hormonal thing !!!!! When a hen wants to sit she will.... Also young pullets aren't always the best moms !!!! And some breeds sit more/better than others, like silkies !!!!! I dont belive from what I know and heard that RIR's go broody often.... I could be wrong but they are nothing like silkies who could sit 10,000 times a year !!!!

3. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    They do seem pretty young to start going broody. Better enjoy the eggs while your getting them.

One day they will all go broody at once, and you'll wish they started laying, instead of sitting. [​IMG] I swear these chickens will do the wierdest things, right when you don't expect it...[​IMG]

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    It's hormonal & can't be predicted or forced.

If you want a bird to go broody, get some silkies. You won't be able to get them to stop!

5. bugdoodle06

bugdoodle06 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Thanks for the info... I didnt think they would start soon.. But I was hoping this spring some would sit.
    How are silkies for eggs if I was to get some in the spring? Or do most people get them for breeders?

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:My silkies lay an egg a day (if not broody) they lay extra small eggs !!!! They taste just as good, just smaller...... I belive most have them b/c they love the breed or to raise chicks !!!

7. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    There are others great brooders, too. My dark Cornish and light Brahmas are great moms, and most went broody two or even three times between spring and fall. I just got the last one to give it up, because I don't want more chicks right now.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by