getting humidity right

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dadsgirl, Aug 15, 2008.

1. dadsgirl

dadsgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    jay, florida
    having bad success with hatches, what is the correct humidity for the first 18 days, and then for the last 3 final days??

i live in florida , having only close to half hatching, anyone have any suggestions??
    thanks, angie

2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Are your eggs shipped or your own? That will make a huge difference in your hatch rate.

There are various thoughts on the humidity issue. Here is a link to an article about "dry incubating".

https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-DryIncubation.html

I'm in Florida too and even with our a/c on at 77 degrees all the time, the humidity in my house is between 47 and 51% most of the time. During the first 18 days, I rarely add any water to the bator...only when it gets below about 27%. At day 18, I stop turning, but I don't increase the humidity until I see the first pip. Then I add water and bring the humidity to about 55-60%...no more than that.

When I first started hatching eggs, I had lots of heavy, water logged eggs on day 21 with many drown fully formed chicks. Since I've started dry incubating, my hatch rate has gone up a lot.

If you decide to do it the traditional way, your humidity should be between 40 and 45% days 1 - 18 and about 50-55% days 19 - end of hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by