Getting into da quail!

Bear1978

Songster
Jun 16, 2020
Arkansas
Hello! Its been a bit since I posted on here!
But I am starting to raise quail, not just chickens now.

I have 6 of them, all hens.. Currently they are in a elevated cage but I was thinking about making them a on-ground enclosure, something like the picture attached, which is from another BYC member that posted it as their quail hutch about 10 years ago, and no one has replied to that thread so I am going to use it here.

Has anyone kept quail like this? If so, how has it worked out for you?

I plan on using 1/2in hardware cloth on the sides and partially on the top and the rest of the top be enclosed like this picture is.
And adding a dig skirt around it. Thanks in advance for advice and input!
1716470933046.png

I keep my quail on the ground. In raised garden beds, to be specific. I plant, harvest, put quail on, let bed rest, repeat.

You can see my setup here. I have added a few more garden beds since this video.
Oh! I must ask, how tall are your quail enclosures exactly? I have heard that IF they are too high the birds can fly up when startled and break their necks so I don't want that to happen, but I do not want to make it so low that its harder to get into as needed.

Oh! I must ask, how tall are your quail enclosures exactly? I have heard that IF they are too high the birds can fly up when startled and break their necks so I don't want that to happen, but I do not want to make it so low that its harder to get into as needed.
I think they're 24" tall. The top is wire, so they don't get injured too badly if they flush into the top, but my birds rarely flush. They are perhaps a bit too calm. They certainly don't have a healthy fear of feet when I step in to collect eggs!

I think they're 24" tall. The top is wire, so they don't get injured too badly if they flush into the top, but my birds rarely flush. They are perhaps a bit too calm. They certainly don't have a healthy fear of feet when I step in to collect eggs!
Gotcha! So as a qual expert, would you recommend not making them any taller than that or at least if I DO, make them high enough for them not to crash into the top?

I love these SummerHawk Ranch pens, but they're practically never in stock. I found one of similar materials that is walk in height at TSC, but it was clearance and I've never found another. If you can do walk in height, I recommend it.

Now, this is my personal opinion, and there are a lot of right ways to raise quail, but personally, I think they should have plenty of space. This includes head room. If you make sure the roof is something with some give, you can get away with shorter pens that aren't claustrophobic. Hardware cloth has some give, and if you drape a bit of cloth underneath it, it will slow them down when they hit it and provide some shade.

I love these SummerHawk Ranch pens, but they're practically never in stock. I found one of similar materials that is walk in height at TSC, but it was clearance and I've never found another. If you can do walk in height, I recommend it.

Now, this is my personal opinion, and there are a lot of right ways to raise quail, but personally, I think they should have plenty of space. This includes head room. If you make sure the roof is something with some give, you can get away with shorter pens that aren't claustrophobic. Hardware cloth has some give, and if you drape a bit of cloth underneath it, it will slow them down when they hit it and provide some shade.
Great info! Much appreciated! Thank you!

I would recommend taking a look at the article here.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/quail.32/
Thank you! Very good article.

I guess the one think that I didn't see there was if its recommended to have it completely covered with a solid material like wood or some type of lightweight roofing material or only partial cover it and left the rest covered with the 1/2 HW cloth.. Not sure how smart quail are as to getting out of the rain and weather!

Back
Top Bottom