getting into meat rabbits

adorable

Songster
12 Years
Aug 7, 2007
near ottawa ontario
Tomorrow i am picking up 20 does and 2 bucks to start up my rabbitry in meat rabbits. I am so excited. I have been moving things around and makeing more cages. I will be makeing cages for a while. They will not be ready to bred for 2 months from now,,,How people on here has meat rabbits??
wink.png

I'm new to raising rabbits. I have two bucks, two juveniles, and 16 new babies!

The bucks and does came from two different neighbors, but each pair appears pretty in-bred, so I decided to cross-breed in hopes of getting hardier stock. Recently, I traded two juveniles for my new buck, reputed to be a California Giant. My plan is to select a few does from the new litters.

Can anyone comment on the advisability of out-crossing? Is it important for fecundity?

Adorable - How are you planning to market your meat?

I've been raising meat rabbits for about 2 years now. My partner and I own about 12 adult rabbits. I currently have a 3 does bred and another that will be old enough to breed next month. I'll be honest I don't enjoy raising them as much as I enjoy chickens but I do enjoy them in the stew pot!

Mike

I love rabbit meat!!! We raised them when I was a kid and I loved it... So I just bought a buck for my kids pet does... One doe is a Californian and the buck is new zealand so they will make some nice big babies... but he is still a tad to young to breed but hopefully soon I will have some bunnies to invite to dinner!
gig.gif

Been raising rabbits going on 3 years now. I mainly raise for meat for my table and meat and fur/fiber for my business.

Currently we have about 20 rabbits, and that was after I slimmed the herd down this summer. Have had up to 50 at one time. Rabbits are expensive after awhile. Feed costs have definitely gone up since I've started.

We mostly do Californians, NZW, but have hybrids/meat mutts that do a great job, also trying out the mini-lops for pets (they're so cute!) and angoras for fiber and meat.

Manure is perfect for the garden, put in on fresh with no burning! Sell it easy too!

I have meat rabbits also. 2 NZ does, 1 Californian Doe and 1 NZ Buck.

The NZ doe had 11 in her last litter. I sold them all for $10 each. The Californian had 2 kits and they were spoken for before they were born.

Last year sales were slow and mostly for pets, this year I've had people coming out of the woodwork wanting to buy meat rabbits. I think as times are getting tougher people see it as an affordable way to put meat on their table.

Back
Top Bottom