Getting into photography and have some questions

KaylorFarms

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 3, 2017
Oklahoma
Hi all,
I'm really looking into buying the Nikon d700 camera, but just about all of the ones I come across say 'body only'. Does this just mean it doesn't come with the lens? Where could I get the lens and how much are they? Also, what is everyone's experience with this camera?
Thanks!

Hi all,
I'm really looking into buying the Nikon d700 camera, but just about all of the ones I come across say 'body only'. Does this just mean it doesn't come with the lens? Where could I get the lens and how much are they? Also, what is everyone's experience with this camera?
Thanks!
The Nikon D700 is an interchangeable lens camera. When an ad says it is for the body only, it means it is for the body only and it does not come with a lens. Lenses are typically sold the same places the cameras are sold.

Compatible lenses for the Nikon D700

What do you intend to photograph? And will you use the camera in manual mode (changing the aperture and shutter speed as needed) or will you keep it in automatic mode?

If you plan on using auto mode my first tip to you is to LEARN to use the manual settings. Your photos will be so much better if you do.

My second tip is that when it comes to lenses, don't scrimp on quality! The camera body is only the mind of the photo, but the lenses are its eyes. Good quality glass (lenses) can allow a low end camera to take excellent photographs if you understand proper lighting and use manual settings to suit the lighting.

My third tip is to learn good post processing techniques in photoshop or the like. When I made the switch from film to digital I was very disappointed in the way my photos were coming out. The seemed so lackluster and flat. I was used to developing them myself in a darkroom and could manipulate them if and when I needed. But it took me awhile to realize that with digital I STILL needed to develope them. I thought with all the technology in the camera me photos were going to come out exactly as I saw the image. But the truth is that digital cameras are no where near as advanced as to mimic the human brain, which can take in a multitude of information and process it into 3D vision. Cameras lack that ability as doesn't come close on its own. But with photoshop or other post processing you can bring your images to life!

BTW, when you learn to read the light you can take really good photos with even a cell phone camera.

These 2 were taken years ago with one of the first Samsung Galaxy cell phones.

20140617_104031-1.jpg
1397786136220.jpg

Thank you! Which lens do you recommend for this camera?
Sorry, I don't use a Nikon so do not have any idea which lenses you would prefer. The site from the link to the D700 has forums that are frequented by people from very experienced to newbies and can provide you with valuable information about the D700 and the lenses that they would recommend. If you do get a Nikon D700, you will eventually own multiple lenses since no one lens will fit all situations.

Nikon Lens forum

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom