1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Getting more chickens - help!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by StarLover21, Feb 7, 2012.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    So I'm beggining the trek to getting more chickens. I've dreamed of getting more for months now, and I think I can make it work. However there are several steps I will have to complete first. Number one is getting chickens to be legal. We have five, and have had chickens for a few years, and our neighbors are fine...but still, I feel like we should get it legal before we actually get them. Second, we need to build a coop. Something big enough to house 9-10 chickens, but only for at night. I don't want a giant walk-in coop I can lock them in on rainy days. It also has to be predator proof because, even though we live in the city, we have lots of predators. Would 9-10 chickens be too many for urban living? We have a HUGE backyard, but would it be too smelly to have 9-10?
    So, any tips on changing the laws, and any good coop plans? Any general thoughts? Anything is apreciated.
    Also, if you don't have any answers for my other questions, I have another harder question!

I'm going to order from MPC. I'm going to get 3-4 chicks.
    I'm getting a Salmon Faverolle. No question. But, could you pick 2 or three chicks from this list that are your favorites? I'm mostly looking for freindly!
    Easter Egger
    Polish
    Wyandotte
    Buff Orpington
    Barred Rock
    Black Copper Maran
    Cochin
    Buff Orpington
    Speckled Sussex
    Brahama
    Silkie
    Sultan (if you could give me any info on these, that would be great! They're just so fluffy!)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  2. berniezahm

berniezahm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    Giant (LF) Cochins are friendly and fluffy. Buff Orpingtns are great brown egg layers. A third choice could be Silkies if you don't mind a bantum bird. [​IMG]

3. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    I would love a silkie- but MPC is the only place that sells sexed bantams, and while I am ordering from there, I can't mix bantams with standards :(

4. audrey02026

audrey02026 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    You can mix bantam with standards from MPC. You just need to order more birds I think there min is 3 standards and 5 bantams or 4 mixed. I live in the city and am only allowed 4 but I have 12 and I don't find that they are much more messy or loud than when their were 6.

Your minimum order is:
    Large Fowl Chicks: 3
    Bantam Chicks: 5
    Mixed Order: 4

5. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    Oh, wow, thank you! I didn't see that. Okay, I'll edit in silkie to the list!

6. Smiles-N-Sunshine

Smiles-N-Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Palominas, Arizona
    My bantam Brahmas were very friendly. Australorps didn't make the list?

I suggest checking out the Coop & Run and Local Chicken Laws and Ordinances sections for information on those topics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by