getting more ducks. Swedish or crested?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bufforp89, Sep 26, 2009.

1. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    So I have the chance to trade a few extra chickens that I have for some more ducks. I have a choice between campbells, swedish or crested. I have campbells already and would like something different so I ruled thoes out. So the choice is between the swedish and the crested.

Anyone have any experience with either? I really like the looks of the swedish ones but then again I would love to get some ducks with a crest.

So my big question is if I get the crested ones and breed them to the ducks I have now, campbells, will the crest be passed on to the offspring?

2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Sedes are some of the BEST! My blue drake was and always will be my abby boy. The crest gene can be passed down but it wont always show in the offspring. Liek some will have it and some wont. I wouldnt add the crest in just because it is a skull deformity and can cause problems in the ducklings. But i think thats father down the line. Personally id go with the swedes.

3. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    I like the crested, they are different and most people get a kick out of their looks. I had swedish, but I did not like them as much. To each their own!!
    [​IMG]

4. Weewanona

Weewanona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2007
    Wilburton, OK
    My vote: Swedish [​IMG]

5. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    SWEDES!!! love them

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Crested what? I would look for crested swedes if it were me [​IMG] but it really depends on your preferences. What are you looking for? Meat birds, egg layers, pets? That makes a difference when choosing a breed.

7. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I have some crested Blue Swedish, I think they are great. Really, there aren't any problems with crested ducks that I have noticed. I love my crested ducks but I loved my Blue Swedish too, they are heavy but mild mannered birds.

8. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    im not cracked up about crested birds but swedes are the best ducks ive owned and believe me ive had some!!! muscovies were my least favorite swedes are my favorite

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by