getting more ducks. Swedish or crested?

bufforp89

Songster
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
Chenango Forks NY
So I have the chance to trade a few extra chickens that I have for some more ducks. I have a choice between campbells, swedish or crested. I have campbells already and would like something different so I ruled thoes out. So the choice is between the swedish and the crested.

Anyone have any experience with either? I really like the looks of the swedish ones but then again I would love to get some ducks with a crest.

So my big question is if I get the crested ones and breed them to the ducks I have now, campbells, will the crest be passed on to the offspring?

Sedes are some of the BEST! My blue drake was and always will be my abby boy. The crest gene can be passed down but it wont always show in the offspring. Liek some will have it and some wont. I wouldnt add the crest in just because it is a skull deformity and can cause problems in the ducklings. But i think thats father down the line. Personally id go with the swedes.

I like the crested, they are different and most people get a kick out of their looks. I had swedish, but I did not like them as much. To each their own!!
big_smile.png

Crested what? I would look for crested swedes if it were me
wink.png
but it really depends on your preferences. What are you looking for? Meat birds, egg layers, pets? That makes a difference when choosing a breed.

I have some crested Blue Swedish, I think they are great. Really, there aren't any problems with crested ducks that I have noticed. I love my crested ducks but I loved my Blue Swedish too, they are heavy but mild mannered birds.

Back
Top Bottom