Getting my first chicks next week! Scared to death!!

Hopefulloflove

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 18, 2011
Benson, NC
ok, so I am going to pick up our very first baby chicks next week. I am really nervous! I think I have everything ready! I bought a kiddie pool, some chicken wire, feeders, waterers, and feed already! I also bought a heat lamp. I am just scared that I will do something wrong and one of them will die!! Does that sound crazy?! Anyways, tell me I can do this!

Thanks!
Kate

You can do it! It's not as hard as you think. And if you need help, we're here for you! How old are they going to be when you get them? Are they coming from a breeder, hatchery...?

Hi Kate,

I am new to chickens also. Got my first chicks in May. Eight of them....they are all fine. I was worried when they were little because I had never had then before and with everything I read on BYC, I was just sure that something dreadful would happen. I probably spent too much time reading about all the things that could go wrong. lol Anyway...mine are all fine. They are living outside in their coop and happy as can be. They are happy to see me because I bring them food. They don't jump in my lap or like to be held but that's ok with me. I am looking forward to the eggs. They have provided me with entertainment...they are so fun to watch in the yard.

Anyway, I think you will do fine. Plus everyone here is so helpful if you have any questions. Good luck and keep us informed!

Regards,
Ginny

Mine are coming in the mail next week too! It really isnt hard!! They are so much fun!!! What breed are you getting? Im getting silkies!!!! And yes if you need any help we are here for!!!!

I just got my first chicks today. I spent the days leading up to today wondering if I was getting in over my head, and if I was truly as ready as I thought I should be. Then, last night, it occurred to me that I am not in this alone. I've learned a lot of things here on BYC, and seen how helpful everyone is when a question is posted...even if it has been posted before! What better place could there be to turn for support, advice and experience when I need it? I hope that you find the same to be true for you.

P.S. If only there had been something like BYC (but for babies) before my kids were born. I was a basket case!

I am getting my chicks from a farm not too far from me. Here is thier website http://www.poultrypeople.com/

They
have chicks hatching every other week. I am not completely decided on the breed. I have 6 kids and this will be a family affair with them helping with the daily care and chores. I do want good egg layers because I am wanting to sell eggs also. Any suggestions on breed? I will be speaking with the lady again tomorrow to make final plans. Any advice from any of you will be GREATLY appreciated! I feel that there is so much I don't know!

Thanks in Advance!
Kate

Welcome!!! This is just the best forum! I'm new to this, too. This is the first year I've done chickens. So many people told me that I should get more than I really wanted, because 'you always lose a few'. I didn't lose any! If your heart is in it and you have access to good information (like here at BYC!), you will do great and have alot of fun! Of course, there will probably be some challenges, but I always reminded myself that I was dealing with living creatures, so unexpected things ARE to be expected! Good Luck!!

One wonderful, tolerant husband, two children, three grandsons, one mini Aussie, three barred rocks, two SLW's and two buff orpingtons in HOT, HOT, HOT Kansas!

You will be addicted in no time...just keep fresh water and food available and warmth for the first month with a heat lamp and you will be fine! Also the first couple of days you have to make sure theyre vent area is clean because poop can sometimes get clogged there in that area but really thats not a big deal and goes away for the most part after a week or so. Good luck and welcome to the addicting world of chickens.

www.facebook.com/ranchosantafechicks

Back
Top Bottom