Getting my first chicks tomorrow- tell me it will be ok!!

Thanks I was wondering about the age/size difference, hoping it would be ok to mix. I'll keep that in mind when picking chicks tomorrow.

I am not saying it cannot be done it just means you may need a hardware cloth divider in the brooder and second heat source for a week.

Pasty butt really depends on how they have been managed.

I had a group of buff laced polish that had a really really bad travel. (8 of 50 survived) it was 3-4 weeks before the butts stayed clear. Most of the time all is well after a week old.

Also.... it’s a very good idea to order some Corid to have on hand for the just in case. Cocciadosis is everywhere and young chicks are very susceptible to it. You can minimize the risks by always washing your hands and changing your shirt when you get home / before interacting with chicks. But it’s still very common so having the Corid available can really come in handy if you notice cocci symptoms; I hate having to wait for medications to arrive.

If you want friendly chickens, handling them as early as possible is best. I would go for the youngest; pasty butt goes away (if it even occurs), but friendliness stays forever!

I use disposable bed pads on the floor of my brooder. They are cheaper than puppy pads, and are the same thing. However, they do need to fit exactly on the floor of the brooder, and even then, as the chicks begin to scratch, they will pull them up. The advantage is that the poop is mainly contained, so I can just grab the corners, and take the whole thing out. Only a few pieces of shavings will remain.

After the first week or so, I start taking them outside for supervised field trips, starting with about 15 minutes, and gradually building up the time as they got older. That's also when I start sprinkling a bit of chick grit on their crumbles.

One thing I was not expecting was how quickly they grow, and how quickly they learned to fly. I have one chick now who flew up onto the kitchen sink at 3 weeks old. Make sure they brooder has some sort of cover; even a window screen can work.

Thanks for tips! Is Corid sold at feed stores? Would I be able to buy it when I get the chicks and other supplies? What signs do I look for? Also what about medicated feed? I think I remember reading if chicks have been vaxed you don't feed medicated crumbles but if they haven't, you do??

They will be in a dog crate to start, so they will be fully contained.

Thanks for tips! Is Corid sold at feed stores? Would I be able to buy it when I get the chicks and other supplies? What signs do I look for? Also what about medicated feed? I think I remember reading if chicks have been vaxed you don't feed medicated crumbles but if they haven't, you do??

They will be in a dog crate to start, so they will be fully contained.

Feed stores might carry the corid. The ones near me do.

I have never fed medicated but yes if vaccinated against coccidiosis medicated should not be fed. It's more of a risk if they are on he ground in an area likely to harbor the disease.

Remember that some chicks are vaccinated against Marek's, which is different. I always feed non-medicated, and haven't had any problems. Keep an eye out for general signs of illness (lethargy, etc), and keep an eye on poop. Bloody poop signals coccidiosis.

You may want to put some cardboard around the bottom of the crate, to contain shavings. Chicks can get. um . exuberant when they scratch! Be prepared for everything to go flying, including feed and water. They may even try to dust bathe in the shavings.

They're here!!! :)
1 BO, 1 RIR, 1 OE, 1 BSL, 1 PBR, 2 EE, 1 WLH

I ended up getting the older chicks, 2+ weeks. I really wanted colorful eggs and there weren't any very young EEs or OEs.

Holy cow are they messy!!! They dumped their whole water (the first one) so I switched over to another waterer a friend is loaning me. They are pecking at the shavings but have found the crumble. Chicks are not vaccinated and I decided to go with medicated feed.

They're super cute!! Will keep me busy, that's for sure. Looking forward to building the coop and getting them outside soon lol.

Attachments

• 20210522_163707.jpg
    20210522_163707.jpg
    639.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210522_152037.jpg
    20210522_152037.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 6
Thanks I was wondering about the height. They can fit under hunched down, but they should be able to stand fully? I can raise it now, luckily it's 90 degrees today anyways so I don't think they've needed it much. I made it so it's higher on one side and lower on the other so they can choose, will watch them for a bit and raise the other side if needed.

Back
Top Bottom