Getting my first hens Sunday! What should I be looking for?

You've gotten some good advice here.

Give them a few days in the coop or coop and run. When they have figured out to go from the run to the coop at night on their own, then they know where home is, and personally, I'd let them loose. But then I free range and am not comfortable with "cooping them up."

Probably the easiest way to see the vent is turn them over. Put your hands around both the wings and body to pick them up, then tuck one under your arm just like a football. It should calm down quickly and then you can do what you want. You could say something to her about not being sure where it is in all that fluff and you know you'll need to be checking it, and she'll probably be delighted to show off her chickens.

If she really doesn't want them eaten, she sounds like she may be just the source you want. I hope so! (Not that you can't be a good chicken keeper and enjoy them as critters, and still eat them, don't get me wrong.)

Good luck.

As for Craigslist--you can get great stuff or you can be taken--just have your eyes open and check the hens well as others described. If there are issues with them be sure you consider what cost (emotionally and logistically) it could be if you still take them.

Most of our experience with Craigslist has been quite positive with items we have bought and items we have sold. I bought a 3L' x2W' x 18H" guinea pig home to use as a brooder for only $10 this spring--worked wonderfully for our 5 chicks for the first 2 weeks! The "brooder" cost over $60 new!
gigglesmile.gif

Good luck and post pictures if you get them
2lbkos0.gif

Good luck exciting times for you. You might as well put your chair out there because you won't be able to stop watching them. When people say it becomes an obssesion it does. That said, I have gotten most of my birds from craigslist and they have been healthy and made me very happy. I have gone to a couple of sites where I walked away because the runs where dirty the dishes where I can't say and the overall look of the chickens where bad. I look at the overall conditions of the coop and runs and chickens especially the eyes and nares for goop. I picked them up and smelled for infection fowl smell and watched them breath. Those are some of the things I followed from this site. I currently have two babies on requst that I will get after I travel for christmas. That person was from craigslist and I contacted her directly to see what she had avalible. She loves her birds and their health shows. You will end up finding places you can be comfortable with and rely on. Enjoy and do post pictures. we will be waiting
pop.gif
pop.gif
pop.gif

My chickens are home! I'm so excited, they're so funny.Here's the thread I started.

Overall, her operation looked clean and the animals seemed in good health, although I felt their pen was a bit crowded (they'll have much more room at my place). I only have two concerns about these girls, and it might be related to overcrowding. I wrote all this out in the other thread, so I won't repeat myself, but please take a look at the ladies and tell me what you think! Thanks for the great advice!

Back
Top Bottom