Getting my girls (and roo!) back in the coop

tennesseechickie

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 3, 2011
Lewisburg, TN
Hi y'all!
I have 5 hens and finally, just 1 roo. They are about 7 months old. A few months ago, they started flying out of their run because I cant get the hubby to build a "right" one. I was okay with it because they were at least going back in the coop at night. So they have been free ranging, which Im happy about that anyhow. BUT, they all started roosting in our small tree out back instead of going back into the coop at night. I feel like weve been lucky that nothing has gotten them yet, but its only a matter of time. We live on 2 acres in the country.
Last night, I had a man come over to get my 2 extra roosters that I had no need for (and which is another reason none of my girls wanted to go in the coop) and he helped me get the girls out of the tree and put them in the coop for me.

Now my question is this, how do I get them to keep going back into the coop at night? If I put the fence back up, they will only fly out because it is only 4 ft tall. Would clipping their wings keep them in a 4ft high fence? SHould I leave them in their coop for a day or two as I have seen someone suggest? I also want to let them free range during the day, but I want them to go back into the coop at night! For 2 of them I cant find where they are laying their eggs, so it will be nice to have them enclosed until they get used to laying in the nesting boxes.

ANy suggestions? Please help!

Last edited:
I would follow the advice of keeping them in the coop for a couple days. Where is their food and water? I only have food and water in the coop to encourage them to return and they always do! Even go back to coop to lay thier eggs which I find amazing!

Agreed. They need to re-imprint on the coop as the safe place to sleep.

I have a few that fly out too so I throw some scratch in the pen and lift the fence so the wayfarers can get back in.

We had the same problem before we had a proper fence. We ended up putting up a light inside the coop. We turn it on close to dusk. I think they like it that they can see. A small light is helpful when trying to get them to roost.

Clip a wing to stop them from getting into the trees. Food in the coop, get in the habit of using the same bucket ( or same color) at night to call them back to the coop with treats. I get mobbed when I have a blue bucket.

Back
Top Bottom