getting my Hens to go into the coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DragunzGirl, Aug 31, 2013.

1. DragunzGirl

DragunzGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    We home built a nice coop with a Run that attaches to it. WELL my Hens are only over a month old now, but looks like they have YET to go into the coop area.. How do i get them into wanting to go inside? they spend there time out in the run, and out side the run when we let them out. But at night they just get up on a high perch in the run area and sleep... Its fine if they sleep in the run area nothing can get in or out. The holes are to small for any thing to get in. But i would love it if they would use the coop.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    If you coop has good ventilation I would lock them in their for a few days. They will get used to it being home. Careful if is super hot where you are. Good luck to you!

3. DragunzGirl

DragunzGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    mmm kk, ya its hot here right now... I think i might do that when it cools down in a month.

4. Biologrady

Biologrady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    We had to put them in by hand onto interior roosts the first few nights, and also temporarily remove the roosts in the run. They then figured out inside roosts feel much safer and after a few days went in at dusk themselves.

5. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

mine took a LONG time to learn to go into the coop at night, and I have no roosts at all in the run.

I think at a month they are still such silly little babies.

I am pretty sure that they were all good by 2 months of age, definitely by three months old.

6. IndigoChicken12

IndigoChicken12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2013
    I was really surprised. After two days of putting my chicken in myself, they got it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by