getting my moneys worth?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stoney22, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Stoney22

Stoney22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    new hampshire
    If I just bought two barred rocks a red star and two golden laced wyandottes for almost 58 dollars will I be able to get my moneys worth out of them? Figure eggs are about 1.50 at the store and that each hen is worth approximately 12 dollars so about how long based on what you all know on their egg production capabilities how long once they begin to lay will it take/ will I ever get my money from them. Also how many weeks until they begin to lay? And also just how broody are barred rocks and wyandottes? As I wanted silkies to go broody and hatch chicks for me but couldn't get them as they were out of stock.

2. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Wait...are these hens? Or chicks?

3. Stoney22

Stoney22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    new hampshire
    They are chicks but the shipping was 3995 so I added that into the total [email protected]

4. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    I am new to the chicken world too, but from my understanding, depending on the breed, it takes 4 - 5 months of age before you start seeing eggs. My original 10 were two weeks old when I got them on May 18th, (3 Barred Rocks, 6 Buff Orp & 1 Golden Lace Wyandotte.) So I figure, I am not going to see any eggs till mid to late October. I bought mine at the local feed store, did not want to order them, and worry about meeting them at the post office with all the heat we have had the last few months.

As a PP asked, are they chicks & if so how old are they?
    If you have little chicks, you may not see eggs till after Thanksgiving. And remember the eggs start out little, so you may not get a true size egg for a few weeks after they start laying.
    Good Luck![​IMG]

5. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

There are too many variables to answer your question. The cost of the chicks plus shipping is just the beginning. The variables includes what feed you choose to feed them from cheap TSC Dumor to organic, soy-free from Countryside Organics like I feed. Whether you let them free-range/forage and if you have a garden so you can feed them vegetables in the summer and maybe have a root cellar to store root crops, pumpkins, and winter squash for the winter. I feed organic, have the huge garden and root cellar, let my chickens forage, but it will cost me more than $1.50 to produce my eggs. At the cost of gas, I factor in less trips to the grocery store for eggs as a plus.

You really can't compare the store-bought $1.50 eggs to your homegrown eggs. Eggs from your own hens will be better quality and have more nutrition, and much better taste, even if you feed the cheapest feed because your hens will be outside in the sun and fresh air with access to bugs and worms, and most likely you will be giving them vegetables and grass, even if you don't let them forage every day. You will be able to go collect eggs every day as opposed to buying eggs at the store which might be a month old when you buy them.

It depends on what is most important to you whether you will get your money's worth, but if you include how much fun and entertainment you get from your chickens, then add in the way better quality eggs and convenience of gathering eggs right on your own property, then for me it is worth the money I put into it, even if it ends up costing more than store-bought eggs.

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I would say the answer is a big NO. My brother was visiting and he is very frugal, ok, super cheap. He is a garbage picker, not that it is a bad thing, just telling you how cheap he is. I am pretty frugal, usually(except for my chicken purchases this year [​IMG] ). He thought he could save money by getting a few hens from me, free of course. I would gladly give them to him. He then thought about the cost of coop, bedding, feed, time having to clean, feed, etc. He then thought about how much per dozen eggs and how many hens he would need for his family of 7. He actually drew up a whole cost analysis, while he was writing I told him not to bother [​IMG] I told him they are pets foremost for me and I have them for my enjoyment, not because it is cheaper. Unless you have a breed like a leghorn he would need too many hens, but then they aren't friendly, quiet, etc...all the things he wanted. So now he just gets eggs from me when he comes by....2-3 times a year from out of state.

I would save a LOT of money if I just bought eggs at one of the farms 10 miles from my house...but then I wouldn't be having all this fun [​IMG]

7. catsew

catsew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Exactly. My husband said the same thing. For the cost of everything each dozen eggs would be like $600. Or he could buy an awful lot of eggs for $600, etc. We also can go just down the street and get farm fresh brown eggs any day, but this is so much more fun.

8. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    No, I don't think so. Especially because the breeds you have are heritage breeds (besides the Red Star) and will not produce eggs like a Leghorn.

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    If by get your moneys worth you mean will you reach a point where you produce eggs for less than you can buy them in a store the answer is no. The eggs you produce will be fresher & better tasting than those from the store but they won't be cheaper. Not even close.

10. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:You may be better off buying eggs off ebay and hatching them yourself. I could never afford buying shipped chicks from a hatchery. We called around and someone lead us to a farm store about 30 miles from here. We paid $3-4 per chick and they came from a hatchery. You are not guaranteed pullets either.

I don't know about egg production nor broodiness. This is my first flock. I've found that I've spent more money that I'd ever imagine on the chicks. I supplement with vitamins, probiotics and apple cider vinegar. I buy a huge bag of wild sunflower seed bird feed as a treat. I use DE to control mites, ticks and fleas. The DE also keeps the smell down. Plus the coopand run was not cheap to build. We really don't expect to break even or definatly come out ahead.lol Not to mention the cost of feeders, nest boxes, waterers, heat lamp, bulbs, egg cartons, ect.... It all adds up very quickly.

They start to lay around 4-6 months of age. My oldest 3 are going on 18 weeks and I have no eggs yet. I'm still waiting.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by