Getting new Buttons. Any tips or tricks?

Lici

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 16, 2012
Lafayette, TN
I don't want them to stress, but I am having to drive out 4 hours to retrieve them and I don't want them to be freaking out. Uncle Dal taught me that much with chickens, but button quail are so much smaller. I'll be keeping them in darkened boxes to help the move, but is there anything else I can do? A certain bedding or material that might calm them more effectively?

And, does anyone know if "stacked" aviaries would be ideal for caring for chicks? As in, one built atop another? That way the chicks of different ages are safe from bullying.

And, is it possible for there to be a 2:1, female-male ratio?

Last edited:
I don't want them to stress, but I am having to drive out 4 hours to retrieve them and I don't want them to be freaking out. Uncle Dal taught me that much with chickens, but button quail are so much smaller. I'll be keeping them in darkened boxes to help the move, but is there anything else I can do? A certain bedding or material that might calm them more effectively?

And, does anyone know if "stacked" aviaries would be ideal for caring for chicks? As in, one built atop another? That way the chicks of different ages are safe from bullying.

And, is it possible for there to be a 2:1, female-male ratio?

Just be sure they have water if you are traveling for 4 hours. food would be nice also. I would place them in a cage and cover it with a cloth. be sure the floor is NOT wire. use wood chips.

stacked aviaries are fine just be prepared to sweep up wood chips every day. I use aspen chips as they are heavier but they cost more than pine. do not use cedar! Try to keep clutches ,same age chicks together after the brooder.

I am a strong believer in keeping them in pairs! But some have okay luck in trios i do not know if the males will mate with 2 females though...good luck.

OH no, never cedar. Only the dogs get that! But thanks for reminding me about water issues. I've been so busy with my Finals, I'm surprised I remember my name right now.

We'll see if Phineas wants a threesome. If not, I'll probably trade a hen with my friend so she can have another gene pool.

Back
Top Bottom