Getting new flock soon, any breed recommendations?

Which is better: finding generic breeds for cheaper at feed stores
Or ordering heritage or ornamental breeds from a hatchery for more? How high are the risks in doing that?

There have been many successful flocks picked up at feed stores. Supposedly if you spend more and get heritage breeds you get better chickens that last longer. However, chickens have great variability, and they all taste the same to coons.

IMO, you are more likely to get a good layer from a hatchery. But, if you buy your birds from a breeder, you are more likely to get SOP. As for ordering from a hatchery vs. picking up your chicks from a feed store: 99% of the time, those chicks at the feed store are shipped in from a hatchery. Only difference being that shipping to the feed store might be faster, and the feed store manager removes the dead chicks from the box, and gets the rest of them started on heat and feed/water before they are offered for sale to the public. In my experience, I'd rather take my chances by ordering direct. I've seen some deplorable, totally ignorant handling of chicks at feed stores. However, there is one feed store near by that manages their chicks very well. Buyer beware. Usually if you buy from a feed store, there is no guarantee on survivability. But if you order direct you get a 48 - 72 hour guarantee, as well as a pittance refund on any accidental roos greater than 90% of your order.

Back
Top Bottom