getting new hens today, adding to my existing 4 hen flock

If you can quarantine properly, then do so. Several hundred feet apart, do the chores of one set of hens, change clothes and shoes and do the second flocks chores. That prevents nearly all transmission of diseases. If you have a valuable flock, a large flock, and the space, this is a very good thing to do.

If you don't, then you cannot quarantine. Many people on here, pretend to quarantine. Personally, if I know the place, or the poultier, I don't bother with a quarantine. I like having a flock, but only have about a dozen birds, and take the risk of losing the works. Which I admit, would suck, but I would start over, and so far I have added lots of birds with darn good luck.

I do not add birds from an auction or a swap, or birds that have been to a show or rescue birds. They have been exposed to a lot of birds, usually right next to a lot of birds, and they could have picked something up and bring it home to me.

Generally speaking, healthy birds look heatlthy, then they are healthy. Not always, there is a risk...... but then there is a lot of risk with this hobby, and sometimes birds die.

As to the etiquette, the op sounds like she is getting mature birds. I am hoping from all one place. IF so, just put everyone in together, shortly after dark. If the op truly has enough room, there will be very little problem. The new birds may not lay for a couple of days, or lay once and take a small break. Other than that, I have done this several times and had very good results.

Mrs K

A sick bird or one with parasites can come from the most pristine environment.
When we showed dogs we kept a cat litter pan filled with bleach water or a spray bottle to disinfect shoes as many diseases are soil borne. You take chances with your existing birds if you don't quarentine the full time.

Without a doubt, sick birds and parasites have shown up from great places, however, generally speaking, healthy birds in healthy situations are healthy. Not 100%, but generally speaking.

Birds that have been next to strange birds, are much more apt to pick something up. Just like when the oldest child goes to school. Those are strange germs, and everyone gets sick.

What I meant was, if by quarantine, you are keeping them separate with a wire fence, that is not quarantine. If you are going without quarantine, then do make sure it is in a less risky way. A group of birds from a single flock, that has not been exposed to other birds is a pretty safe bet.

Mrs K

Hi there!

We are serious chicken newbies (our four chicks just turned 10 weeks old today! 2 RIR pullets, 1 Plymouth Rock pullet, and 1 easter egger "surprise" cockerel) and we are obsessed. We know the time will come that we have to get rid of our cockerel. He isn't TOO noisy right now and likes being cuddled, but we're not allowed to have him in our neighborhood. Three birds seems too few, which is why we're looking to expand the flock!

A friend is looking to get rid of 15 hens that are already laying (so older than our current birds), and while we don't have the space to take on that many, we are thinking about taking 2 of their hens. I've read on here that it's easier to integrate 2 birds than 1, so thanks for that advice BYCers!
big_smile.png

I'm not sure about the breeds of the new birds, but hopefully something cold-hardy and docile like the ones we already have. I've read about quarantining them, which will be tricky but I'm sure we could manage it for at least two weeks. My bigger concern is the age difference.

I've read a lot on this site about adding chicks to an existing group of older birds, but not a small-flock situation where someone added older birds (2 girls) to younger birds (3 girls and 1 boy). The younger chicks are very familiar with us, but the older girls will be unfamiliar with the space, a new home, and us as "parents."

Any advice someone has on adding unfamiliar older birds to a small, young flock would be much appreciated!

P.S. - Perhaps as a bonus, the chicks we currently own are fairly new to their coop. We moved them into their official run and coop less then a month ago. Perhaps that would be good for flock dynamics?

I look at integrations and a plus and minus game:

Bigger is +, smaller is neg ...... so in your situation , +2 -3= a negative one

but

more numbers in a flock are also postiive and negative

so two new ones -2 and 3 original +3 = now positive 1

Then the home front advantange (after a month, they original flock has it)

+++ and -- so + 1 for you original flock

Really, I think that as long as you have room in your set up, you can put them straight in there at night, and all will be fine. They may hang in different groupings, till it gets cold. Winter makes a flock come together.

Mrs K

Great, thank you Mrs. K! We'll definitely keep that in mind if we decide to add to our flock. I like your equation...definitely logical!

Hi there!

We are serious chicken newbies (our four chicks just turned 10 weeks old today! 2 RIR pullets, 1 Plymouth Rock pullet, and 1 easter egger "surprise" cockerel) and we are obsessed. We know the time will come that we have to get rid of our cockerel. He isn't TOO noisy right now and likes being cuddled, but we're not allowed to have him in our neighborhood. Three birds seems too few, which is why we're looking to expand the flock!

A friend is looking to get rid of 15 hens that are already laying (so older than our current birds), and while we don't have the space to take on that many, we are thinking about taking 2 of their hens. I've read on here that it's easier to integrate 2 birds than 1, so thanks for that advice BYCers!
big_smile.png

I'm not sure about the breeds of the new birds, but hopefully something cold-hardy and docile like the ones we already have. I've read about quarantining them, which will be tricky but I'm sure we could manage it for at least two weeks. My bigger concern is the age difference.

I've read a lot on this site about adding chicks to an existing group of older birds, but not a small-flock situation where someone added older birds (2 girls) to younger birds (3 girls and 1 boy). The younger chicks are very familiar with us, but the older girls will be unfamiliar with the space, a new home, and us as "parents."

Any advice someone has on adding unfamiliar older birds to a small, young flock would be much appreciated!

P.S. - Perhaps as a bonus, the chicks we currently own are fairly new to their coop. We moved them into their official run and coop less then a month ago. Perhaps that would be good for flock dynamics?

I am in almost exactly the same situation. I started with 4 chicks that were supposed to be pullets and I ended up with 2 pullets and 2 cockerels. This is my first flock and they are 9 weeks old and, as much as I didn't plan on it, I'm already attached. Nevertheless, I am attempting to re-home my 2 little roos at this moment since I know they will have to go eventually and I figure sooner is better than later. I am acquiring 2 new pullets (3 months old) from another chicken owner TONIGHT. So the new birds are older than my existing birds, too.

My plan right now is a temporary coop/run setup for the 2 new girls since everything I have read here has me freaked out that they are all going to start attacking one another if I try to put them together right away. My existing coop/run is not huge. About 4x4 coop with a 4x12 run so four birds will be enough. For the temporary coop, I have a chicken tractor/pen that is basically chicken wire with 2x2 stud framing in a 5x7 rectangle. I am going to put a large Pet Porter dog crate (the plastic kind with vent holes on the sides) inside the pen. My plan is to just close the new birds in the dog crate at night within the pen to keep them safe until I can put them in the permanent coop. I wish there was an easier way to integrate!!
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom